Kitchen Viewer Question

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

salad916
Kitchen Viewer Question

Post by salad916 » Thu May 08, 2008 10:18 am

Hi Dale,
I've been playing around with your program Cash Register and I'm very impressed with it. I don't have a store but I have a cousin that wants to computerize his resturant. I think your program would work great for him. I have set up 2 terminals networked and they work great. I'm having a problem with the kitchen viewer. I set it up with the path to the global folder on computer 2 and at first it seems like it is working but as soon as I put an order in on computer 1; kitchen viewer freezes with a blinking question mark. I know that I'm doing something wrong but what? I've run kitchen viewer from a seperate folder on computer 2;from a local folder on computer 1 and from the global folder on computer 1 and I always get the same thing. I know in the manual you talk about accessing the same files from the POS and Kitchen at the same time can cause a problem but I'm still unsure how to set it up properly. Thank you for your support and for your generosity with such a great program.
Sal

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Kitchen Viewer Question

Post by daleadmin » Thu May 08, 2008 4:38 pm

salad916,

You can enter a PATH in both the POSCONFG.EXE program and the KITCHEN.EXE program. Is the PATH that you enter EXACTLY THE SAME in both programs?

You say you get a blinking question mark, weird. Is that all that is on the screen, i.e. the screen it totally blank except for a blinking question mark?

Dale

salad916

Re: Kitchen Viewer Question

Post by salad916 » Fri May 09, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi Dale,
Thanks for your quick response. The screen I get is exacrly what kitchen viewer is supposed to look like according to your manual.The window is a blue kitchen.exe screen that has 3 vertical white lines(left,center,right). The one on the left says:
Active
? _ (Blinking Cursor)

Your Menu Items are in light blue along the bottom.

Once the cursor starts blinking (about 3-4 seconds) the program freezes and I can't even escape out of it.
I've done it on 3 computers and I always get the same thing; I think the program isn't seeing what it wants to see so I know I'm doing something wrong. I set E:\global as my paths for my network; and I set E:\global as my path in kitchen viewer. My register file name is the same in both posconfig and kitchen viewer.
Thank you very much for your help,
Sal