Layaways and free gift certificates

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Wanda
Layaways and free gift certificates

Post by Wanda » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:36 am

Is it possible to keep track of layaways in the POS system? I could just keep a paper record, but if I keep the opening and closing balances in POS there will be "extra" money. Money not recorded. Now, I'm thinking out loud. What would happen if, when the sale was rung up, I put in only the amount paid? Will the item still be in the system? What if it was more than one item?

Another problem I have is I give away a $25 gift certificate each month. There is no purchase of this gift certificate. Any way process that? Thinking aloud again, could I purchase a gift certificate for 0 dollars? But could the value be set for $25? That doesn't sound like it would work, but I'm not at that computer to test it.

I'm loving the system. Had a scare the other day where I boo-booed configuring the printer and the system froze up on me. Nothing I did would let me back in. I was convinced I'd have to start all over from scratch (1500+ items), but I uploaded the new version and that somehow let me get back in. The printer is now configured and working. Whew! Disaster averted.

Oh, to back up the stock table. Is that "copy" the stock table? I had a copy, but when I tried to start over it said no back-up or copies or whatever term it used was found, but I was trying to start over with a new register name. If it's not copy, how do I back the stock table up?

Thanks!

Wanda

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Re: Layaways and free gift certificates

Post by daleadmin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:50 pm

Wanda,

The software will not currently track layaways. If you tried to enter a partial payment for an item the POS software would not complete the sale. You must enter an amount tendered equal to or greater then the amount of the sale for the sale to complete.

For gift certiciates that you give away just print them up and give them away. Nothing needs to be done on the register since no money changes hands. However you may want to use the "User defined" payment method then the customer uses the certificate to purchase something or even better take a unit reduction on the sale for the amount of the certificate.

If you are in the stock table and press [F5] to move or export lines from the stock table the first thing it will do is to ask you if you want to back up the stock table or restore the stock table from a previous backup. If you want to manually back up the stick table read this about file name http://keyhut.com/faq.htm#filename The files you need to back up have the extensions of .TBL and .IDX

Dale

Wanda

Re: Layaways and free gift certificates

Post by Wanda » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:15 pm

Thanks!

That's what I did with the gift certificate, but when I enter it, it acts like I was actually paid $25.00 and that much isn't in the register. Or maybe my mind is refusing to grab hold of the concept. I'll figure something out that works for me. I appreciate the help.

Wanda