Floating Cashiers

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Andrew
Site Administrator
Floating Cashiers

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:30 am

Short version: I think the global folder should track who is logged on to whichever register, and possibly contain a feature to enable/disable logging on with the same ID on more than on register.

Long version: At the supermarket I work at (unfortunately not using DHPOS) we run a "floating cashier" system.

Basically every cashier has their own till and float which can be moved from register to register, they must sign on with their cashier ID and password to open the drawer and insert their till. Also, obviously the system disallows the same cashier to login on more than one register.

I know we don't want to go over rearranging the login system, but what I thought was, what if - when a cashier enters Purchase mode, they are assumed to be logging in. If they use the "Lock Register" function, could it be locked until they enter their employee PIN, instead of the lock password which everyone knows (or needs to know is order to lock).

If a floating cashier system is being used, and everyone knows the lock password - I can see the security issue here of anyone being able to access someone else's drawer. Thus if someone's register is out of balance, and more than one person were using it - who is accountable.

Where I work, a +/- $1 margin is allowed per cashier per day, although they prefer 100% balancing. So as you can imagine, things have to be organised fairly well software wise to ensure figures add up at the end of the day, and everyone can be properly held accountable.

If they exit purchase mode - they are assumed to have "logged out" until they access purchase/return/voids etc again. Our POS system takes the user straight to sale mode after logging in and all returns etc are performed from that mode.

Does that make sense? Sorry if it doesn't I have just gotten home from stocktake and my brain is fried.

<HR>

If it helps, here is what happens with our software at work (purely for explanation purposes only)...

- Cashier brings their till to a register, hits Sign On/Off key

- Must enter a valid cashier ID an password

- Drawer pops open, till is inserted, drawer closed, if drawer is not closed within xxx minutes, register beeps and flashes a message on screen until drawer closed

- Blank sale appears on screen, cashier can start scanning items, or access returns, general department, cash tender purchase etc

- The back office menu performs functions such as reprinting the last transaction, refreshing the receipt header, securing the register

- Cashiers can purposely secure the register, or it will enter secure mode itself if idle for xxx minutes.

- To exit secure mode, sign on/off must be pressed and the cashier password entered.

- When the cashier needs to sign off, they press Sign on/off, the drawer opens and they remove their till, and close the drawer.

:D
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Floating casier

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:29 pm

A floating cashier sounds logical. I liked the idea of having the the unlock password the same as the pin of who ever is logged on. I think that the floating thing might work if you balance the till by using the option B from the reports menu.. I'll have to try it and get back to you.
Yep at the store I work for we use the floating till system. Everything goes by Cashier # and not Register #. To sign on we type our cashier # then the / key secret #'s then the sign on key and it brings us right into sales mode. If we don't use the register for 30 seconds it goes into secure mode and to get back in we just hit out secret #'s and then sign on. To sign off all we do is press the sign off key twice..
Of course we have to take into consideration that if for example a cashier left their till in the register and went home on a lunch break and for some reason they had to stay home. Their drawer is still stuck in the register and the only way to get it out is to know their secret pin ###'s, there would have to be a way for a manager to use a manager password to override it out... Just an idea??

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:42 pm

Hi

Yep, employee tills could possibly be balanced using the report for employee sales.

As for manager over-ride, maybe the lock password could be the override - only managers/supervisors are to know the password if the PIN system is used.

At work, we have supervisor keys which must be inserted in the lock and turned to a certain position to access certain options/features such as over-riding secure mode.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

PIN Lock

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:45 am

Yes, I like the idea of using the PIN to lock the register. But what if you are using non-PIN employees or no employees at all?

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:29 pm

Then the lock register password would be used wouldn't it?