Big pole display on monitor.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
Big pole display on monitor.

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:46 pm

Here is a nifty new program file to try out.

If you have two monitors attached to the same computer, or two computers attached to a network, you can use this program turn the second monitor (or the monitor from the second computer) into a pole display.

The program as two display modes, 40 characters wide on the screen and 20 characters wide. There are important differences in the two modes.

40 wide has smaller characters however this mode can be displayed in full screen or in a window.

20 wide has larger characters however after entering the screen mode and PATH the program changes to a graphics screen that CANNOT be displayed in a window and can only be displayed full screen. If you attempt to display the graphic screen in a window the program will crash.

This means that to use 20 wide you must start the program, shift it to the second monitor, convert to full screen display of the program, then select the 20 wide screen mode to begin displaying the pole display output.

If you are using this from a second computer over a network you must enter the PATH to the computer / folder that is actually running the POS.EXE program.

Here is the download link for only the BIGPOLE.ZIP program file...

THIS FEATURE HAS NOW BEEN ADDED TO THE FULL PROGRAM DOWNLOAD

How about giving this a try and reporting back?
Last edited by Dale Harris on Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dale

AppealingMitch

Post by AppealingMitch » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:12 pm

Oh, Dale, you've outdone yourself. Very clever indeed.

It works beautifully in 40 mode on a secondary monitor. The path feature is nice as well.

Very wonderful.. I beg of you to put it in your release!!

It's ingenius!!

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:09 am

I've also started whipping up a windows version of bigpole, I also am thinking of building on Dale's version - which will allow you to view a networked register's sales.

I hope to have it as some form of backoffice program - that monitors the "pole display" on all registers (even if they don't have one) and could log/alert activity such as reductions/voids.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:00 am

Andrew... how bout a kitchen display? :p (I could send you my notes on this)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:24 pm

Lol, that's always a possibility - POLE.DAT outputs lots of useful info. :)

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:36 pm

Like the program, really cool. What about offering a b/w version instead of blue/white?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Contrast.

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:32 am

Guest,

Because white on black is hard on the eyes.

(Dale talks under breath) Gee I could come up with a plan for world peace and immortality and people would still complain that it is no good because it is the wrong color.
Dale

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:59 pm

Dale,

Please print your plan for world peace and immortality on A4 paper, as Letter is not the standard paper size in New Zealand. :lol:

bdude
Forum Regular

Post by bdude » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:15 am

Go A4, and while you're at it i might declare my love for the metric system, ah how a system based on powers of 10 is so much easier.

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:02 am

Brings up some interesting worries for aprint... hmmm....

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:00 pm

A4 And Letter Oh My!

:)

ibmsystems

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:49 am

How about white background and black text for the black and white monitors.

-peachey

Matt1990

no network

Post by Matt1990 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:57 am

is it possible to connect an adictional monitor to my computer and use big pole that way as i dont have a network so i want big pole on one display and pos on the other.

Thanks
Matty Johnson
:lol:

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:22 am

Matty, that is the idea.

Usually if you do this, you can use display properties to setup the monitor in windows - and drag the POLE program to the edge of your screen - then it should appear on the second monitor.

However this will be something users will have to setup for themselves, as most of us don't have secondary monitors to test it on.

tss_rocks

Post by tss_rocks » Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:15 am

I tried using bigpole.exe today. I'm using Windows XP with an Nvidia Graphics card.

Is there a way to be able to pull POS.exe up full-screen on one monitor and bigpole.exe up on the other one in full screen?