Big pole display on monitor.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:45 pm

Yes You Simply Drag Bigpole to the other monitor

peachey13
Forum Regular

Post by peachey13 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:56 pm

try right clicking on it in the taskbar and go into proprties and there should be a full screen option in there somewhere.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

3rd mode

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:48 pm

I just returned from grocery shopping with my wife and I looked at the display panel at the check out. It was similar to the "big pole" program displaying at 40 characters per line except that it scrolled from near the bottom of the screen showing the last several pole outputs with a running total of the net, tax, and gross at the very bottom of the screen.

I am thinking of adding this mode to the big pole program as option #3. This also means that the pole output from the POS.EXE program will also have to include the running total for net, tax, and gross from now on.

Opinions?
Dale

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:37 pm

o yes wonderful ideas i ran big pole in my store for a week and found customers always asking "what was the item before that?" i want this!!!!

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Scrolling option

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:27 pm

I finished the scrolling option for the BIGPOLE.EXE program and it has been uploaded as version 6.37d of the program.

Here is the new documentation for BIGPOLE.EXE...

MONITOR POLE DISPLAY
If you do not have a pole display it may be possible to show the pole display output on a regular computer monitor. To be able to do this you must have a computer that can drive two separate monitors. Windows XP computers can do this and many laptop computers also have this ability even if they run a version of Windows earlier than XP. You can also use a second computer to show the pole display output as long as it is networked to the computer that is running the cash register software.

To actually show the pole display output on a monitor you must run a separate program file BIGPOLE.EXE. This program must be run from the same folder from which you are running the POS.EXE program (unless you are using two computers connected to a network to run POS.EXE on one computer and BIGPOLE.EXE on the second computer.) If you are running both programs from the same computer start BIGPOLE.EXE first. At the first screen, move the output to the second monitor, then continue. After the program description you will be offered 3 display options.

1. 20 character screen width, cannot be displayed in a window.
2. 40 character screen width, can be displayed in a window.
3. 40 character screen width with scrolling.

Option #1 displays in the largest font. However it cannot be displayed in a screen window and must be displayed using a full screen display. If you attempt to display 20 characters wide in a window the program will crash. This is why you must move the program display to the second monitor and begin using a full screen before it switches to 20 character mode. Even then the program may die when 20 character mode begins.

Option #2 will use a smaller font but can be displayed in either a window or full screen.

Both options 1 and 2 will act like a regular pole display and will only show the current pole display data.

Option #3 will use the same font as option #2 so it can be displayed in a window or full screen. However it will show the last 23 sets of pole display data that will scroll up from near the bottom of the screen. The bottom line of the screen will show a running total for the sub total, total tax, and total of the sale. The screen will clear at the beginning of the next sale.

After choosing the option you want you will be asked to enter a PATH. If you are using one computer, and both the POS.EXE and BIGPOLE.EXE programs are running from the same folder then leave the PATH blank. If you are using two computers over a network then you must enter the PATH from the computer running BIGPOLE.EXE to the computer and folder that is running the POS.EXE program.

Here is the download link...

<center> http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm </center>
Dale

bdude
Forum Regular

Post by bdude » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:49 am

for some reason I can't get TIMER to work with this version.

Matt1990

Post by Matt1990 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:13 am

HOW DO YOU USE IT ON TWO SCREENS RUN FROM ONE LAPTOP

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:50 pm

Matt1990

1.Place Big Pole In Your POS Folder
2.Open Big Pole
3.Drag Big Pole To Second Monitor

Is this that HARD???!!!

It seems quite easy to me!

CBL

Post by CBL » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:07 pm

ibmsystems,
That part is easy, provided you have the second monitor configured first.

Matt1990,
Firstly, you will need to determine if your notebook can support this as not all do. Go into Display properties (right click on the desktop and select properties) and then to the Settings tab. If you see two monitors, you're in luck. Click on the second monitor and then check the box that says something like extend my desktop onto this monitor. The second monitor should then become active.

grahamsw
Forum Regular

Upon further testing.....

Post by grahamsw » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:00 pm

When I tried BIGPOLE on a display in my store using a Micron UTP5400 P4 2.55GHZ Windows XP pro SP 2 With 1GB of ram, I found that the program worked excellently. I asked several customers if they found this useful and they all said it was a nice thing to have and was easier to read than a regular pole display because it was larger. Currently using a ELO-touch 17 Inch flat panel LCD monitor and a 15 Inch Acer A1515 Flat panel display for the customer. The only con i could see is that some people might not have the money for LCD's and that CRTs are quite large and bulky. :D :D This could be a problem for people with space limitations.

Let me know what you think

Graham Wakefield
wakefieldtech0101@gmail.com

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:35 pm

I Dont Really Think That Would Be A Super Large Problem As You Can By Mounts And Holders That Mount To The Counter Or Roof As For LCD Price's There Cost Is Coming Down Rapadly As We Aproch The Holiday Season :)

IBM

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:37 am

grahamsw,

True - but compare I think if you compare the price of most pole displays with the price of a new monitor, for the money's worth - the extra screen provides much more info for the customer than a pricey pole display at a cheaper price.

Plus it's much easier to setup a 2nd monitor than to setup a pole display with the correct settings to work with DHPOS.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

grahamsw
Forum Regular

True but...

Post by grahamsw » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:30 pm

Andrew,
I have found and used pole displays that I bought on ebay
They were pretty easy to configure and also under $50.00 Including shipping. This is what the store I tried bigpole on was using before

Thanks for the opinion though

Graham
:D :D :D

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:20 pm

grahamsw,

Maybe - but we must accept that the world goes far beyond the borders of the US as does the use of DHPOS. For example, here in New Zealand - it is almost impossible to find a pole display second hand at such a low price.

Ebay has not taken over in NZ and is belittled against the local auction site TradeMe.co.nz however pole displays do not come up for sale often - and when they do, they're not cheap.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

grahamsw
Forum Regular

I totally get it.

Post by grahamsw » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:05 am

Andrew,
I see what you mean and i Realise they might be hard to find in NZ. now i see this, I am starting to see just how useful BIGPOLE would be
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS