POS, DOS?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dylan (logout)
POS, DOS?

Post by Dylan (logout) » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:15 pm

DHPOS is a DOS-Based program.
However, is there no way to run DHPOS on computers without windows,
only dos?? I absolutely HAVE to have the network. I am working on a
project for a school's concession stands, so windows is not an option (Because I would have to deal with licences throught the school board). but I can't operate to my client's specs w/o the network.
Thanks, -Tech

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:33 pm

Ok

DOS Must Be Ran On Either A Windows Or Linux System It Will Not Require You To Use A Mouse But You Must Run It On A Computer Using Either Windows Or Linux I Am Not Sure If Mac Supports DOS I Also Know The Linspire OS Will NOT Run DOS If Its Life Depended On It! Or You Can Look At The DHPOS System Requirements Page.

Home Page > POS System Requirements

grantm
Forum Regular

Post by grantm » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:46 pm

Actually, you don't need Windows or Linux. DOS (more specifically MSDOS) is an operating system itself. All windows does (especially the later versons) is Emulate DOS. On XP you are not using true DOS, but a program written to act like DOS.

As for networking, I think that you can use the NET USE command. But someone more knowlageble in DOS can clear this up.

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:12 pm

I Agree Dale Some Help Here!!

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:02 am

You can network DOS (I've never done it) and there will no doubt be tutorials on Google galore for this.

NET USE is indeed the command to setup the mapped drives for networking DHPOS.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Tina

Link here

Post by Tina » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:04 pm

You can use DOS all by itself no Windows required, & you can also Network them. You can use Lantastic or Microsoft network Client\Server for Dos here http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/dosclien.htm

Good luck

Tina

Dos Server

Post by Tina » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:19 pm

Personally I like Lantastic better then the Micrsoft Client\Server networking software. This post is to confirm that DHPOS works perfectly under Straight DOS in a network situation. I have DHPOS setup as a Global Register ie: on the Dos only server computer, & the rest of the Dos stations connect to the server without any flaws.. The hardest part of the whole deal is just getting your network cards configured correctly under dos. Once they are in and configured correctly, your computers are ready to start sharing files.

Best of luck

Dylan222

Yeah, Well...

Post by Dylan222 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:49 pm

well, i think ill use eithr fedora or suse -linux
thanks,

rickpos (not signed in)

Try this...

Post by rickpos (not signed in) » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:08 am

http://netbootdisk.com/

Universal Network Boot Disk for DOS...

It's pretty straight forward. However, if you're not too familiar with networking, take a moment to read the documentation and FAQ's on the site.

Good luck!