Price Checker for Windows 1.0

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Would you use this add-on?

Yes
80%
No
20%
If more options were available
No votes

Total votes: 10

RJ
Forum Regular
Price Checker for Windows 1.0

Post by RJ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:42 am

Hello everyone,

I had developed a price checker program for use with Windows. It is touch screen compatible and contains 2 EXE files. 1 is the actual price checker program and the other is the configuration area.

There are other features I am working on to enhance this, so far they are:
-Screen color options
-Font options
-Screen Resolution
-Auto-Hide taskbar

Currently the password protection is disable because this is a beta version. I have fully tested the password options and works 100%. This is also network compatible so you can configure the price checker on another computer other than the kiosk.

I would like to just have the main program tested and have any bugs reported.

Dale, should I upload the program to this post or send you the file to post in the third-party page?

Thanks
Last edited by RJ on Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
R.J.
Website coming soon...

grahamsw
Forum Regular

DEFINATLY

Post by grahamsw » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:55 pm

RJ, I would be happy to beta test and report back to you using symbol products, If you could send a copy of the file to graham@wakefieldtech.com I can install it as soon as i get it

Thanks
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Price checker

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:28 pm

RJ,

You can post the program on your own site and send it to me for the "3rd Party Software" page. I assume that there will be a .TXT file in the .ZIP file that will be the documentation for the program. Do you want me to use your post as the description for the program or do you want to send me another description?

I will try to have the new page up by this weekend.
Dale

RJ
Forum Regular

Price Checker

Post by RJ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:54 pm

Dale,

I will make some documentation tonight when i get a chance. The program currently is NOT full screen... However, to make the programming easier, I also need suggestions on what everyone uses for their screen resolution.. do you use 800x600, 1024x760, etc... Since the program would need to run on a standalone PC, or be networked, what would the stand-alone PC's screen resolution be?

I have the install EXE file ready since it includes a file or two that has to be placed in the windows directory. That is why I did not use a ZIP file. This is just so the program can access settings from a database file. I used a database file instead of a text file so that you can't go in the settings file and view the password, etc... The installation program takes only 4 clicks to install and you are good to go. After that you just define the path to your TBL file. The program will display the stock #, price, and description. If the item is at a sale price, the display will show the original price, sale price, and a "You Save" amount. It also features a custom screen header and scrolling message display.

I will post the link to the software tonight. I need to whip up a directory on my web server and setup some kind of web page for the program.
Last edited by RJ on Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.J.
Website coming soon...

RJ
Forum Regular

RELEASED

Post by RJ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:40 pm

Here is the link for testing...

Please reply with feedback

http://www.homecomputingsolutions.net/d ... ETA1.0.exe
R.J.
Website coming soon...

RJ
Forum Regular

Post by RJ » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:18 pm

I will be finishing up the last beta version for testing on 1/7/06. Any bugs, please report to this thread. I am a programmer however this is the first time I am interfacing software with Dale's data, and also this was a freelance project, so I really didn't put a whole lot of planning into it or draw anything out before I built it. This is mainly why I need the testing done.
Last edited by RJ on Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R.J.
Website coming soon...

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:30 pm

Bug in windows Price Checker:

If someone enters no barcode (i.e. leaves the field blank) and presses Enter, the program crashes - needs an error trapper to ignore blank entries.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

bdude
Forum Regular

Post by bdude » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:01 am

looks good, have to wait to download it, but some suggestions:

you could have a space at the bottom for advertising, messages text or graphics, or you could even do what a large supermarket chain do on there POS terminals and have flash movies running.

RJ
Forum Regular

Post by RJ » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:09 pm

Thanks Andrew. I found that bug the other day and fixed it.

As far as displaying graphics/movies, I can probably add that in, but not right away. I just want the functionality to work right now interfacing with Dales TBL file. I still have to add options in for customizing the colors, etc.

Right now, there are fields in the configurator to add header text and also text for the scrolling banner. I will put the graphics/movies in the "to-do" list.
R.J.
Website coming soon...

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:53 am

RJ wrote:Thanks Andrew. I found that bug the other day and fixed it.
Fantastic, looking sharp.

bdude
Forum Regular

Post by bdude » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:04 am

this is fantastic!!!

RJ (Not logged in)

Post by RJ (Not logged in) » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:54 pm

everyone,

I will be putting this project on hold for about a week. Had a family emergency and will be spending a lot of time in the hospital.

I will keep everyone posted.

G J Gove

Pound sign

Post by G J Gove » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:08 pm

It works fine but being from the UK would like to change the currency from $ to £.

Thanks for a valuable addition to DHPOS

RJ
Forum Regular

Post by RJ » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:42 pm

I am back now and started working out the bugs in the program.

Of all of the POS programming I do at my job and in my free time, I never did any currency changes. Would all that need to be done is just change the $ sign to the £ symbol? would it be 2.00£ or £2.00?

This would be added as an option in the configuration... How would you like me to lay it out?
R.J.
Website coming soon...

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:25 am

RJ - yup - you'll note DHPOS doesn't display currency symbols (I never noticed until Dale mentioned it some time ago). In the UK - the pounds symbol appears in front of the currency amount, just like $.