Self checkout with NCR using DHPOS

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Should we focus on self checkouts?

Yes
39%
No
39%
I dont care
22%

Total votes: 23

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
Is this possible?

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:59 pm

ibmsystems,

I think that you should release this on EXACTLY February 31st. Let me know how you figure to accomplish this and where you purchase you calendars.
Dale

balloonbuffoon

Post by balloonbuffoon » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:58 pm

In all my experiences, those weighing devices are really annoying to the user. They don't register for very light items ('cause I guess the scale isn't that accurate.) But anyway, I have a horror story from Home Depot about this. I had to buy like twenty of those stick-on letters and decided to use the self checkout. But each time I scanned one and placed it in the bag, I would get an error "Please place item in bagging cart." I ended up having to press down on the scale with my knee each time I scanned a sticker. This is just something to think about. I think the only error worth caring about regarding weight is extra weight. (If more weight is added when nothing was scanned.) If the customer scans the item and doesn't bag it, why should that be of concern? They have already been marked down to pay for that item and they can't possibly steal it! Sorry about my ranting but its just something to think about because this one feature really annoys me (and I would assume others) about self checkouts.

Thanks
--Steve

PWEB-Mike

Post by PWEB-Mike » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:12 am

An excellent point! However I use one with a Skip Bagging button which solves that problem -- bur you are right it should look for extra wegiht

I used one in a food storean a potato wouldn
t scan so I figured I' scan the next one twice.. I attempted to roll it down the conveyor belt.....it kept comming back -- good laugh

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:18 pm

PWEB-Mike

Yes ibm makes a version of self checkout with a conveyor that has a sensor for how tall and long an item is also i used one a few weeks ago and placed two items next to each other and guess what?

Back they came. :D

bdude
Forum Regular

Post by bdude » Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:52 pm

balloonbuffoon wrote:In all my experiences, those weighing devices are really annoying to the user. They don't register for very light items ('cause I guess the scale isn't that accurate.) But anyway, I have a horror story from Home Depot about this. I had to buy like twenty of those stick-on letters and decided to use the self checkout. But each time I scanned one and placed it in the bag, I would get an error "Please place item in bagging cart." I ended up having to press down on the scale with my knee each time I scanned a sticker. This is just something to think about. I think the only error worth caring about regarding weight is extra weight. (If more weight is added when nothing was scanned.) If the customer scans the item and doesn't bag it, why should that be of concern? They have already been marked down to pay for that item and they can't possibly steal it! Sorry about my ranting but its just something to think about because this one feature really annoys me (and I would assume others) about self checkouts.

Thanks
--Steve
I agree, sometimes I don't want to put my item in a bag (chocolate bar for example :) )

PWEB
Occasional Poster

Post by PWEB » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:18 pm

bdude wrote:
balloonbuffoon wrote:In all my experiences, those weighing devices are really annoying to the user. They don't register for very light items ('cause I guess the scale isn't that accurate.) But anyway, I have a horror story from Home Depot about this. I had to buy like twenty of those stick-on letters and decided to use the self checkout. But each time I scanned one and placed it in the bag, I would get an error "Please place item in bagging cart." I ended up having to press down on the scale with my knee each time I scanned a sticker. This is just something to think about. I think the only error worth caring about regarding weight is extra weight. (If more weight is added when nothing was scanned.) If the customer scans the item and doesn't bag it, why should that be of concern? They have already been marked down to pay for that item and they can't possibly steal it! Sorry about my ranting but its just something to think about because this one feature really annoys me (and I would assume others) about self checkouts.

Thanks
--Steve
I agree, sometimes I don't want to put my item in a bag (chocolate bar for example :) )
Like I said -- some have a Skip bagging option that lets you move on to the next item.

Any new progres to report?
--
Mike

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:44 pm

NO wonder everyone asked if i had still been doing tss and selfcheckout i never edited this post soooooo.

EDIT
Last edited by ibmsystems on Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:54 pm

Just curious, but why are you even developing a self-checkout system for DHPOS? I thought this software was for the small "Mom and Pop" type stores. The kind where you rarely have more than 3 cash registers, and even if you do, they really wouldn't have the need for a self checkout. Don't get me wrong, it's a great concept... but the cost of the equipment you would need to create an efficent self checkout system would be far and above what the average small retail operator would be willing to spend anyway.

Self-checkout systems are nothing short of a major retail chain looking for a cop-out way to pay one cashier to ring up four to six customers at once. They're big, bulky, take up way to much floor space, and rarely work more than 85% of the time. Yes, they have come a long way since U-Scan first appeared on Oprah back in the early 90's. However they don't begin to make up for the customer service level of a real person handling the transaction... and when you're a small buisness trying to compete with the 'big box' retail stores out there, whose volume purchasing makes is next to impossible for a small store to compete on prices. There's only one way to bring customers back, and that's with customer service above and beyond that of the big retailers.

Just food for thought, hope it helps.

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:35 am

True but this is meant to be a "Project" where you take a PC and get pieces piece by piece so if meets your budjet thanks for the comment

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:58 pm

OMG i FINALLY got some where with this and now have a drawing to show everyone what selfcheckout will look like

This is the error screen

This is the sale screen

Please Note:

Those drawing look NOTHING like the actual thing the actual thing acually has your choice of color for backround and buttons and also has a font choice and is a full screen program

PWEB-Mike

Post by PWEB-Mike » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:13 pm

IBM, When do you think you can get a link up? (IM sorry -- im excited!!!) And wil this be the stable release?

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:49 am

First Release BETA: 2 weeks This Maybe Unstable!
Second Release 1 Week After Beta Release (if theyre are no major bugs)
Offical Guranteeed Release march 1st 2006

BIG NEWS

The second release will have a gift card feature! that will be activated and tracked via a microsoft acess database

Therefor requring you have acess installed :(

grahamsw-not logged in

great news

Post by grahamsw-not logged in » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:25 am

this is GREAT news. Lets hope we have no more system failure and viruses.

cant wait

Graham\
Wakefield TEch and EPOS

PWEB-Mike NLI

Post by PWEB-Mike NLI » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:33 am

Hmmm about access - I downloaded some software that used acccess but did not require you to have it....I work in a school so the software is called Disicipline Tracker the Download Link is down but here is the site -- http://www.edusoftware.com/DTDemo.htm

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:18 am

You don't require Access if the data is just stored in it and accessed by a program e.g. Visual Basic. You'd only require Access if you were opening the database directly to view/edit data.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)