Preh keyboard

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

kw2303
Preh keyboard

Post by kw2303 » Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:21 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to connect a programable keyboard and assign items/articles to keys and functions (tender cash etc )on the keyboard? Anybody tried it yet? if so which hardware did you use.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Programmable keyboards

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Feb 06, 2004 7:44 pm

kw2303,

You can program keys on a programmable keyboard to be any key you want them to be or even several keys. For example if you have a stock item with a stock number of 25562554, if you program one of the keys to be "25562554" + [ENTER] then when the program asks you for a stock number you can enter that item just by pressing the key that you programmed.

For control keys, like pressing [+] to total a sale, you can program the [+] into one of the keys so that it will work just like pressing [+]. Of course pressing the key you program will only work when the normal [+] key will also work.

Dale
Dale

Nick
Forum Regular

multi layer

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:16 pm

and if you want to get realy fancy you can get a multi layer keyboard with a key to switch between them. Then on the second layer you program the master password to a key and whla you have a manager overide butten and key. The only downside is that most multi layer keyboards with key start at around $150

The other alternitive is make a realy long password and program all but the last few digits to an indiscript butten, then tell the people that need to know where the key is and the last digits.

-Nick

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Programmable keyboards

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:51 am

If you really wanted to, you could have things like:

[+] 1 [ENTER] for a "Cash" button
[+] 2 [ENTER] for a "Check" button
[+] 3 [ENTER] for a "Credit" or "Credit/Debit" button

Just a Suggestion,
Chris
Dale Harris wrote:kw2303,

You can program keys on a programmable keyboard to be any key you want them to be or even several keys. For example if you have a stock item with a stock number of 25562554, if you program one of the keys to be "25562554" + [ENTER] then when the program asks you for a stock number you can enter that item just by pressing the key that you programmed.

For control keys, like pressing [+] to total a sale, you can program the [+] into one of the keys so that it will work just like pressing [+]. Of course pressing the key you program will only work when the normal [+] key will also work.

Dale
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

kw2303

Post by kw2303 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:48 am

Hi
Thanks for the update I will try it.

Alan
POS Guru

I've got one!

Post by Alan » Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:01 pm

Yes I had my Preh Commander MC128 keyboard setup for DH-POS without any problems!

You need to program it with a key combination (a normal keyboard plugs into the Preh to allow you to do this) I think its "Alt Gr + Scroll Lock" which makes the Scrl Lock LED flash on and off, then enter your command "ie 1 then enter" then the Scroll Lock light flashes quicker and you press Alt Gr + Scrl Lock again and its set into the keyboards flash memory. You can setup the keyboard to load the keyboard layout from a file during DOS-Win98 boot.

Alan