Changing Port codes

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

The IBM Guy
Forum Regular
Changing Port codes

Post by The IBM Guy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:16 pm

I have recieved a new IBM system from IBM (for resale). Now - IBM 4694 Systems use RS-485 ports and I want the software to think that the RS485 port is COM1 (serial port).

Does anyone know how to change the Windows 2000 settings to tell the computer the RS-485 is COM1.

Example

RS-232 Port: IBM-1 > Change it to: RS-232 Port: COM1

Thanks

Tina

IBM 4694's

Post by Tina » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:24 pm

I have two older 4694's currently running it's own DOS IBM RETAIL AP on and what a pain it was to setup. It works but I pulled the plug on them and switched to regular pc's with DHPOS on it because I like it better and they are easier to use.. I tried running DHPOS on them and ran into the same problem with the port issue with the IBM cash drawer & Printer. I finally gave up and took them out of service. Maybe I will try to get them working again. Then again maybe I won't as the whole port thing is a royal pain in the you know what..

Anyhow maybe you will have better luck with your's then I did with mine.

Cheers,
Tina

AJ

Post by AJ » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:22 pm

OMG... THIS IS THE EXACT issue I am having right now. I bought an IBM 4694 as part of a retailer's liquidation b/c I used these at various retailers where I worked over the years and loved them. Since the hrdware is older, I figured DH-POS would work easily on it... WRONG!!!! I think my love of 4694 might be over.