Visual Basic DHPOS Is Being Developed!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Visual Basic DHPOS Is Being Developed!

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:26 pm

Currently, I am trying to develop a Visual Basic 2005 Application of Dale's POS System. I possibly will l be adding on features as time goes by. This program will preform basic POS functions. I am also planning (no guarantees) another version of the software for Restaurants and for Quick Sales. I am developing it in Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition. I know quite a lot of Visual Basic coding, so I decided to try my idea out.

Note: I have been using this software for about 2 years now with my little sister, for her imaginary store. I am 14 and I really enjoyed Dale's software!

*I have tried Commercial Versions of POS Software (Trial Versions Only) that charged from $50-300.00 And Had Almost 1/2 The Features of DHPOS!*

Hopefully, a first version is out in a few weeks/months! Keep Posted! :D

If Anyone Else Is Interested In Developing Windows-Based Applications With Visual Basic 2005, the Express Edition, which is great for the purpose, Is FREE. Note: This Product is Free Until November 6/7, 2006. Check out the visual studio page at microsoft's website at http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/!

Features Include
- Purchases/Refunds/No Sale
- Pole Display For a Second Montior (Sorry, no COM1 Port Connected Pole Displays!)
- Printing- This feature is a question. At Microsoft, the developers decided to do away with the old form of printing (1-3+ lines of simple code), and decided to add in new controls to do the same exact thing, but make it a lot harder on the developer. If anyone knows how to do simple printing in Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition, please post a reply.
- Open Items/Coupons/Discounts
- Payments
THE FOLLOWING FEATURES ARE LOOKED UP BY THE APPLICATION ON AN ACCESS DATABASE. IT WILL BE SUPPLIED AND CONFIGURED
- Coupon/Reductions/Promotions
- Stock Lookup (?)
And More Other Features That Will Be Added On As Time Goes By

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:31 pm

Guest>

Bob5731 is currently making one version of this but go ahead and make yours well see who can do it better bob or you

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:37 pm

You would also benifit from registering so other forum members can PM (private message) you with questions and comments also if you would like somewhere to put your finished program i can give you some space on my servers so everyone can download it.

Edit>

I read the post a little more and noticed you would not be able to use com1 displays if you like i can add yet another app to create for this purpose as for i am alot better in VB Than QB I can probably get this done quickly

My history for VB

Complete and am certfied under 6 diffrent ISDN cources

Correction

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:48 pm

Correction to My Original Post:
- I will be designing the Main POS Window as a TableLayout, With About 9-15 Rows To Hold Items. Originally, I have posted that the POS Window will be used in an Access Database. I am unable to figure out how to add the values in the price colunm together, and output them in a label, textbox, etc...

- This means the software probably accept 9-12+ items, but it will do all of the other specified functions (as of now), listed in my first post.

My high school right now is on midterm week from 1/25-1/27/06, so I only have to go when I actually have a midterm! Tomorrow, Friday 1/27/06, I probably will not be developing it for most of the day. Sorry!

I probably will be responding or developing after at least 4:00 PM (Weekdays) and on weekends, it is a question when! (This is starting 1/30/06, where midterms are over!)

I usually check this forum daily when i get on for any other posts.

-Thanks! :D

RJ
Forum Regular

Post by RJ » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:26 am

Are you going to name it DHPOS for Windows? Is that legal to take the name? haha just kidding.

If you want to simplify the list portion, why not use the grid control provided with VB2005? It's not real powerful, but can be used for simple applications.
R.J.
Website coming soon...

Update

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:47 pm

I have completly re-done and now re-doing the user interface. I am considering making the program open source and hosting it at sourceforge.net!

- What do you think? :D

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:06 pm

-Surgeforce.net Yes!
-Open Source, Even More Yes!!!

Open Source Yes Make It Open Source!!!!

PWEB-Mike

Post by PWEB-Mike » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:28 pm

ibmsystems wrote:-Surgeforce.net Yes!
-Open Source, Even More Yes!!!

Open Source Yes Make It Open Source!!!!
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

That summs it up!

When should we expect this?

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:35 pm

This program should be available in (I think :) ) in 2-3+ months.

Thank you for your input - Sorry about the time it will take!)

Thanks again! :D

grahamsw
Forum Regular

no thank you.

Post by grahamsw » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:51 pm

Guest,
Dont worry about how long it takes, we are grateful that you are doveleping a app. also, i would reccomend you register so members of the forum can private message you. regestration makes things much easier.

Thank you again for doveleping this app.
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:00 pm

I will quote my self lol wrote:You would also benifit from registering so other forum members can PM (private message) you with questions and comments also
lol just like i said ;)

ZeeMan
Forum Regular

Post by ZeeMan » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:47 pm

This is a wonderful idea! Honestly I have been waiting for a free, open-source and visual basic POS software.
It is (literally) impossible to find open source POS software, let-alone in VB.

I myself am very good at VB express and would be willing to help you out. VB is my favorite language because it is so easy to use.

BTW, you should make the database XML instead of access because it is much more efficent and expandable.

It would also be cool if you made the system be able to switch between two modes: "Touchscreen" mode and "Keyboard" mode.
"Touchscreen" would be for people who would rather use the mouse or a touch screen and "Keyboard" would be set up to use keys like Dale's POS does.

It would also be cool if you had a gift card function that also let people have "member" cards. With "member" cards you could have in-store credit at a certain percentage rate and have special "member" discounts.

This is a really good idea!

grahamsw
Forum Regular

to sum it up...

Post by grahamsw » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:12 pm

Ok, so everyone agrre that it is a really good idea. Good. I would DEFINATLY have to agree with zeeman's idea about touchscreen and keyboard modes. If you want a example of this, look a t the Demo of REGIT pos, i think it is somewhat similar to what you want to do but more complex. I also Like the open source idea.

Keep me posted,I would also be willing to let you havespace on my server and i may even be able to give you a domain if you were on my servers :)

feel free to email me at graham@waefieldtech.com

thanks
Graham Wakefield

grahamsw
Forum Regular

O yea and...

Post by grahamsw » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:15 pm

Just a reminder, We have all made suggestions and BIG requests, It is Okay to start small and biuld up. Dale did pos that way and look where it is now:) So if your first relese is only a sale screen with no options, It is fine.

Good luck
Graham Wakefield

Dukane
Forum Regular

Post by Dukane » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:20 pm

If this application is open source, what is there to prevent a person with malicious intent from changing the source in a negative way? For instance, from changing how sales are recorded, etc... Or cracking password encryption. Dale's closed source approach keeps all of those possibilites from happening.