Does your store need log in security? For networked stores

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Does your store need to keep track of who is logged in so one person can't be logged in 2 times or at the same time?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:00 am

Yes
67%
No
33%
Dont understand ?
No votes

Total votes: 9

Payphone
Occasional Poster
Does your store need log in security? For networked stores

Post by Payphone » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:00 am

Hi
i am wondering dose you store need keep track of who logs in so 1 persons pin can be log in 2 times or at the same time read below

Hi
When i i open today and the first day i used posnet i found a bug.
And let me tell you how i found it .
I have 3 Teens working for me and when we close tonight some money was missing about (20.00) No biggy but the employees and a manager count the money and put it in a money counter we mach what it says on the regster chick. And you cant do no sale with out a password so i looked at the register jurnal a employee was loght in at the same time at 2 diffrent registers thanks god i have sercuity camras and then i know who did it. But Dale This could be a Verry bad sercuity issue Can you pleae Help me To sove this issure
Last edited by Payphone on Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Dose your store need log in surcurty

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:54 pm

Yes, this is VERY inportent!!!!!
Payphone wrote:Hi
i am wondering dose you store need keep track of who logs in so 1 persons pin can be log in 2 times or at the same time read below

Hi
When i i open today and the first day i used posnet i found a bug.
And let me tell you how i found it .
I have 3 Teens working for me and when we close tonight some money was missing about (20.00) No biggy but the employees and a manager count the money and put it in a money counter we mach what it says on the regster chick. And you cant do no sale with out a password so i looked at the register jurnal a employee was loght in at the same time at 2 diffrent registers thanks god i have sercuity camras and then i know who did it. But Dale This could be a Verry bad sercuity issue Can you pleae Help me To sove this issure
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Everything is very important if it is free.

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:55 pm

Well there is a problem on taking a poll on how important a new feature would be on the POS program.

On most things everyone has to do a cost / benefit analysis. "I really want a sandwich, but I don't want to go into the kitchen and make one", you might say to yourself. Your significant other watches as your desire for a good ham & cheese builds and the tension in the room increases until it is almost paletable. Eventually the gut wrenching need for a sandwich overcomes sloth and you get up and totter into the kitchen. Stress drains from the room in torrents.

Unfortunatly this process does not carry over well into the POS program. The problem is that the cost and the benefits of additional features are not borne by the same folks. One party (me) gets all the costs and the other party (everyone else) gets all the benefits.

In the past this has led to some really strange requests. About two years ago we had a couple of folks who determined that if the POS program did not let them choose the foreground and background colors separately on each screen in the program that they obviously were going to die, horribly. Which might have happened since they have not been here lately. One person emails often to ask me if I have finished the Chinese language version of POS yet. I was berated for months by requests for big numbers at the bottom of the screen (What? That happend? Oh, well I guess that sometimes asking for weird stuff works.)

But what links all of these people is that they want what they want and may as well demand it because they sure are not going to be the person who has to spend sleepless nights to make it happen. That person would be me.

So if you want to ask people if it would be important to them to have the POS program come in different flavors I am sure that you would get most people to agree that without POS in flavors that their lives would be stark, barren, and not worth living. Because it is no problem for them, they just have to sit there and wait for it.

BTW, I vote for Kiwi, Watermelon, & Kumquat
Dale

Payphone
Occasional Poster

Post by Payphone » Sat Feb 07, 2004 8:53 pm

Hi
dale I am just try to make you understand how inportin it is for that feature I would like yo help you on this If you like. Do you understand why it is needed?

Thanks Dale

Wes
Forum Regular

login security

Post by Wes » Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:56 pm

I have worked with nine different pos/register systems over the past few years. All in professional retail environments. Most national chains. Only one of those has had a system to keep employees from logging into more than one register.
Seems to be more of an employee trust issue than a program issue. I think we should give Dale a break on this one. He does all the hard work for us. Just my 2 cents.

anabus_maximus
Forum Regular

Dale does a lot.

Post by anabus_maximus » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:17 pm

Dale already does a lot for us. I mean, supporting this software for so long and he doesn't get paid for it.

Dale recently helped me with a problem that I was having regarding editing customer's information which took 2 weeks. I am very thankful that he did that. If something as little as that causes a long time, imagine how long it takes him to implement a feature as big as that.

I program BASIC applications on my TI-89 and debugging takes forever. Even if it's just a few new lines, it could mess up the rest of the program. If Dale's programming in C, it's going to take forever to debug. (I now have sympathy)

Payphone, I think that you should have a talk with your employees, tell them that if you can't trust them to only be logged into one register at a time, you might have to let them go. They'll change, trust me.

Sorry if this seems long, but I think that it needed to be said.
Somewhere behind the athlete you've become, the hours of practice and the coaches who've pushed you, is the little boy who fell in love with the water and never looked back. Swim for him and no one else...

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:02 am

Dale programs in QBASIC
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Dylan
Forum Regular

THINK!!!

Post by Dylan » Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:35 pm

YES!! SECURITY ISSUE, and NO!! BAD!!!
If implemented, it should definatly be an option!
Here's why,

Yes:
Stolen money issues,

NO:
My dad used to work at a book and computer retailer (media play)
it was during the christmas season and they ran out of cashiers,
a friend of mine that worked there told me to open a register using his number.

Okay, this is not very bright unless youre desperate, or know the person very well.

so if your store needs more employees on registers but are out of emp. codes or ppl
with codes, then you may need one twice

thanks,
JDR