Hidden Features

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Hoodsey
Hidden Features

Post by Hoodsey » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:55 am

While polling about the forums for a few hours (as well as looking at the manual), I've noticed that the DHPOS has quite a few mentioned hidden features... I was wondering, could this list of handy features be posted in one large area for people new to the DHPOS system can have a few shortcuts.

I'm in love with this software, BTW. It's the BEST QBasic program I've ever seen. The only problem I've encountered so far (could be human error) is that after every sale it kicks me to the menu screen.

Also, mention of 3rd Party Add-ons are mentioned a lot... but... they're few and far between... Could you lead me in the right direction?

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:15 am

The return to menu is not a fault - you just haven't enabled the function to return to another sale after completing a sale.

Enter POSCONFG - "Goto after sale".
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

ToPS

"Hidden" Features

Post by ToPS » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:21 pm

I am also new to DHPOS but found that studying the Register.txt file and keeping a copy close at hand when using the program helps a lot.

I also try different things. For axample - I have never seen any mention of this feature, but today I found out that in the vendor stock number field in the stock table, more than one vendor stock number can be used.
It helps when the different numbers are seperated by a space for a search to find all numbers.
This is usefull when a product is supplied in different packagings with different vendor stock numbers (6 x 250ml or 12 x 250ml) or when different supplies use different codes.

Maybe this is nothing new for the old-timer DHPOS users but it is still a feature that I will use a lot.

Browsing this forum can also be a great learning experience.

Tech

3-rd party

Post by Tech » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 am

We used to have a thrid party website, where people could post
software especially for DHPOS. THe site has long since gone down
and no one has offered up a bunch of server space. So the references
are to the old site.

theposman
Occasional Poster

I Would Be Happy To Give Some Space!

Post by theposman » Fri May 19, 2006 2:54 am

I Would Be Happy To Give Some Space!
To Use DHPOS OR Not to use DHPOS, That is never the Question!

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Hidden Features

Post by RollerBall » Sat May 20, 2006 9:59 am

While on the main menu, if you scan in a barcode the program flips into a 'view transactions' mode. You can then page backwards and forwards to view all the transactions in the list.

I don't know any other way of entering into what is a really handy feature. Have I missed something?

Andrew
Site Administrator

Re: Hidden Features

Post by Andrew » Sat May 20, 2006 5:19 pm

RollerBall wrote:While on the main menu, if you scan in a barcode the program flips into a 'view transactions' mode. You can then page backwards and forwards to view all the transactions in the list.

I don't know any other way of entering into what is a really handy feature. Have I missed something?
Maybe your barcode begins with "5" as what you are describing is accessed from option 5 on the main menu - Voids.

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Tue May 23, 2006 6:44 pm

:)

aha....nearly right Andrew...........but not quite ;)

Looks as though it works from the end of the barcode from right to left. It then acts on the first number it recognises. If it's a 1, it goes into the Sale menu (err.... the purchase menu, sorry..) a 3 into File Maintenance and so on.

For a minute I'd thought I'd found a way of printing 'lost' receipts eg today a roll jammed in the middle of a receipt and I don't know of any way to print it after unjamming the paper. Any ideas?

I'll bet you'll say to void the transaction and enter it again......

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue May 23, 2006 7:01 pm

RollerBall,

Actually - the "Voids" option does allow you to view transactions and reprint them, but you must enable this option to reprint in POSCONFG.

Then return to the Voids option, find your transaction and press the button to reprint (it tells you which along the bottom bar of the screen when in Voids).

No need to void and re-enter, ick!

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Printing past transactions.

Post by Dale Harris » Tue May 23, 2006 7:02 pm

Rollerball,

Go to the "Sales recording - VOIDS" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program. You will be able to set the program to record from 0 to 10,000 of the last transactions. While there you may want to set "Reprint transactions" to "YES"

You may now access these past transactions from the main menu of the POS.EXE program by selecting "5. Void" There you will be able to page through the past transactions by pressing either [F5] or [F6]. If you press [F7] you will be able to find a transaction by entering the transaction number. A sale or return from the current day can be voided by pressing [F8]. The transaction currently being displayed can be printed out by pressing [TAB] assuming that you set "Reprint transactions" to "YES" in the POSCONFG.EXE program.
Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Wed May 24, 2006 2:33 am

:o

Yeehaaa ...... great stuff. I'll give this a go as soon as I get my hands back on the system.

mrdmng
Forum Regular

Void feature

Post by mrdmng » Fri May 26, 2006 6:32 pm

I was wondering why when you go to the Void feature, either to reprint or void a sale, the customer's name is not always showing (more often not).

At times, it makes it quite difficult to make out which transaction is the correct one to choose

Thanks for this great software and wonderful help we get from this forum and Dale.

Mario

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Customer names

Post by Dale Harris » Fri May 26, 2006 6:38 pm

mrdmng,

The customer's name is not actually stored with the sale. Instead a pointer is stored that points to the name of the customer in the customer database. If you did not store the customer's name in the database, or later deleted it, then the program will not be able to find the name in the database to display in the void.
Dale

mrdmng
Forum Regular

Void feature / Customer's Name

Post by mrdmng » Fri May 26, 2006 7:22 pm

Thanks Dale.

I can understand the pointer issue, but there are times when the customer's name does appear in the Reprint/Void Screen... Just wondering why sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

I guess the same pointer applies if the payment was made by cheque?

Mario