Um, Hello

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Tech
Um, Hello

Post by Tech » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:39 am

Yeah, what ever happened to that time clock? I firmly believe that ppl would use it, dale. The interest is definately there. I really dont want the idea to die. I refuse to allow users access to windows on a till or, for that matter, a time clock. Windows, except for XP pro, is sooooo unsecure. As a netadmin at school, i hate the whole "unlimited access" and "security by obscurity". I understand how people are. I like picture time clock - but it allows managers access to the WIN GUI. AND it will never have the capability to calculate labor.

Here's what Im saying: If (or when) dale makes a time clock, dale could let it total transactions from the very first second of the hour until that present time, then use the time clock software to calculate labor. However, this would also require a program for entering how much each employee makes. This is why I have suggested the cash management, employee management, and time clock software be a package as oppose to various programs by different authors. If they're all by dale - they can gather information from each other. I the rest of us make the programs, they wont have anywhere near the capabilities.

Consider the theme microsoft will be using this quarter for advertising - "Empowering People"

If we, as developers, empower our clients, they, as employers, can empower their employees. Empowered employees = empowered customers = MORE MONEY.

Profit is the bottom line, lets improve it! Let's give businesses the tools they need to be efficient, effective, productive and profitable. (EEPP)

Thanks, Tech techrobinson@gmail.com

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:09 pm

Tech dale has recently been busy with gift cards and i belive he has said no to the time clock idea Dale did you say no?

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Time clock

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:39 pm

Tech,

Besides lack of time the main thing holding up the time clock feature is "time" itself. Meaning how do I keep folks from changing the system clock and thereby making the time clock unreliable? This has been in the "think about it" pile for quite a while and while I have not come up with a way to prevent anyone from resetting the system clock I have come up with a way to detect it, sort of.

So now the holdup is finding the time to code it. Unfortunatly I am booked up into the far distant future with features that I have planned for a long time to add to the program.

And the plan for the time clock feature is for it to be a time clock, only. It will record when you punch in and when you punch out with some added stuff for printing and saving the information but that is it. I have no intention of making it a payroll program. I will probably make the file structure public so someone else can use the time clock data for payroll but it will not be me. Sorry but I have too much in the pile line already.
Dale

Tech

Dale...

Post by Tech » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:42 am

Dale,
I can definitely see where your concern lies. And here's how we
fixed that at Xx.Xxxxxx'x, (I know the following is impractical,
but consider an emulator to take the spot)... Our server software
(in the case of only DHpos, then DHPOS, and in the cae of dhpos
with pos-serve - POS-Serve.) is linux based and runs on a proprietary
version of *nix for Xx.Xxxxxx'x. This way, none of the managers
know how to do anything - aside from the fact that the server software
is DOS (whatever dos is in *nix) -based. this way there is no GUI to
get to. If a manager needs to use windows, it's run in a little windows
box (a DOS/Windoze emulator, like virtual PC) At any rate, you're
right - there is not really a way to fix this in windows except maybe to
follow the list below:

o Create a Adminstrator Acct. and a limited acct.
o Run DH-POS-Server (or POS-Serve) in the limited acct. so
that the time can't be changed, also run it full screen with
the alt-enter combo disable and something unusual enabled to
switch to the GUI. Then use L-GPO's and software restrictions
to lock the thing down
o Last, use CTRL+ALT+DEL to logon and the "Old-style" logon screen

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:27 pm

if you are on a domain with a nt4/2000/2003 server you could just create a policy for the users. one of the options is locking the control panel, which also locks the time as well so it can't be changed
Andrew Stevens
Rooksystems/Clearwater Inc.