Networking with DOS

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular
Networking with DOS

Post by ProDeZigner » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 pm

I know this probably has been covered... but... one of my friends gave me an old Packard Bell PC (25Mhz, 4MB of RAM, 400MB HDD), and I'm wondering what's a good DOS network card to snag up to network this to a server. I'm not a DOS networking pro... and I just know Windows basic LAN stuff... so I'm no expert by any means...

Tina

NIC

Post by Tina » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:09 pm

It's probablly best to get a card that is NE2000 complient. Dos installs of a Network card can be a pain. If you plan on setting up a dos client to a Windows based Server, you can look here... http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/dosclien.htm

On the Windows Machine you must the install NetBEUI-protocol in order for the Dos client to see the server.

That shoulg get you started!!

Tina

SwedaGuy
Forum Regular

Post by SwedaGuy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:51 pm

I've had an awful lot of luck using 3COM Etherlink III cards with DOS requesters, to attach to OS/2 Servers. I would imagine the WIN box shouldn't be any harder. You can find them on eBay dirt cheap...
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary, and those that do not...