Help with hardware

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
Help with hardware

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:58 pm

Peachey forwarded the email below from the archive area and I could use some help in answering it so I am posting it here. I particularly need help with the network stuff.
<hr>
Hi Dale...I hope you will be able to help me, as I am in way over my head. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or guidance you could give me.

I have purchased the following equipment from a closed dessert shop. I would like to have my daughter be able to use it in her Frozen Custard, Coffee shop that is now under construction in Michigan. It did not come with any software (I have not purchased a windows laptop as yet- But I do have 3 Macs).

There will be a drive-thru window POS, combination walk-up window/inside counter service POS and a strictly inside counter service POS. I assume one Kitchen Video System monitor should be nearby the drive-thru window and the other in the prep area near the other two POS stations which will only be about 6 feet apart. I also plan to have a security system with multiple cameras and some sort of a timed video recorder system. We have not purchased a speaker system for our drive thru as yet. We are thinking about having an inside ATM instead of taking credit cards, which I mention in case there is a part of your program that relates to credit card scanners. Our nearest competitor seems to have no problems with taking cash only, and we would like to avoid the fees as well. We would like to have everything be compatible with the following items.

Thanks...from chilly Michigan...Gloria

POS Equipment List

3 - Panasonic POS Workstations JS-550WS

3 - Cash Drawers

1- Epson Impact Printer TM-U200B Model M119B
(Attached to previous owners POS #2)

2 - Epson Thermal Printers TM-T88III Model M129C
(Attached to previous owners POS #1 & drive thru POS #3)

2 - 15" Wall Mount Kitchen Video System Monitors TM 2000/ PSCR Pan S501H 15"

2 - Panasonic MC Switches (Bump switches?) Mod. JS-750MK

Color KVS Controller JS900CV 900CVU10-CLR

Netgear Fast Ethernet Switch Model FS608 V2 PACC MSC 8 Port Hub

Epson PB6509 power supply

Wiring to monitors, cables to ethernet switch and KVS Controller, and "blue" phone type lines and phone type jacks that linked the 3 POS Workstations

Angela
Dale

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

My answer.

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:29 pm

Angela,

You mentioned Macs. I hope you do know that my POS software will not run on Macs.

You mention a Kitchen Video System monitor. We have discussed a adding this type of feature to the POS program but have not done so yet. So this may prevent you from using my software.

While my software has a “credit” payment option it will not actually process credit cards.

Q1) Panasonic POS Workstations JS-550WS. I assume that you mean these…
http://www.panasonic.com.au/products/ph ... ageIDs=0~0
A1) My POS software will not work with these. My POS software is designed to work on regular Windows or DOS PCs and will require a standard keyboard.

Q2) Cash Drawers
A2) You do not give any details about the keyboards. Do they connect to the serial port on a computer or to a cash drawer port on a receipt printer? Either kind will probably work with DHPOS but the “receipt printer” type are much easier to set up and use.

Q3) Epson Impact Printer TM-U200B Model M119 and Epson Thermal Printers TM-T88III Model M129
A3) These will work fine with DHPOS as long as they connect to the computer through the parallel printer port. They will probably not work at all if they connect to the computer through the serial port.

Q4) 15" Wall Mount Kitchen Video System Monitors TM 2000/ PSCR Pan S501H 15"
A4) These are not supported by DHPOS

I hope others on the forum can answer questions about the other hardware
Dale

mmioperations
Occasional Poster

Post by mmioperations » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 pm

I have used these panasonics (and still do) in my work. As said DHPOS doesn't support KVS currently, and the reporting features on the panasonics are generally better than dale's system. (for the food industry of course). If you intend to be operating a drive thru food operation, you should really invest in the QS 6 software (or better through panasonic), as thistype of equipment contains no hard drive, or disk drive of any kind, making DHPOS definately not an option, and as said the panasonics are far better suited to the QS environment than DHPOS is. DHPOS makes a much better retail or full table service POS, and as said require standard computer equipment. My advices, is you probably got these at a bargain, so invest in the softrware - it's well worth it.

Alan
POS Guru

Post by Alan » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:43 pm

Is DH-POS actually able to run on the Panansonic screens? Looking at the pic sent it looks like a very customised catering till.

Alan

mmioperations
Occasional Poster

Post by mmioperations » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:03 pm

No. The panasonics do not have any way of uploading the software. They run a proprietary operating system (just as any other ECR i.e. Sharp cash registers), and POS software, and cannot be changed. Also, they lack a standard keyboad. They are designed primarily with fast food in mind, although they also workfine for sit down restaurants. They are not suited for retail applications.