POS download will be two files

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
POS download will be two files

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:45 pm

When the new version of APRINT replaces the current version all of the Cash Register files will compile into a .ZIP file that will be larger than 1.44 megabytes. This means that it will no longer fit on a floppy disk.

There are two options...

1. Continue to compile it into one file and if you need to transfer the program to a different computer that only has floppies as removible media then it is "tough beans" for you.

2. Compile the program into two files that have to both be downloaded and unzipped.

Currently I am leaning toward the second option where one file will have all the files needed to run the POS program under most conditions and the second file having secondary program files like BIGPOLE, SONDSCAN, SALEDATA, REMOTE, and LOOKUP.

It is also possible that I will offer a choice to download the one file option or the two file option.

Your thoughts?
Dale

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:23 pm

I think that the two-file option would be easier for beginner users, they wouldn't need to deal with all the other fancy files.
- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Tina

Disks

Post by Tina » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:29 pm

I think most people who use the internet can download it as being one file without any problems. They will have to be put onto disks themselves anyhow. I like the idea of the core pos program files to run the program as one download... All enough for 1 disk.. The second download for the features and options. A second disk.. Congratulations we are onto 2 disks folks..

Tina

Bobby
Forum Regular

Floppies!?!?!

Post by Bobby » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:34 pm

Floppies are still around???

I say, one zip file, but the zipped file contains two folders... the essentials for those who still use floppies, and the optional components for those who need them. That way, only one file will have to be downloaded.

Bobby

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:56 am

lol Yep floppies are still around :D

This is my 400th post

Tech

Post by Tech » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:37 am

We'll unfortunately, floppies are still around. And who knows why.
But, I think it should be one file. My reasoning for this is that
even though many people use older only-floppy computers to run DHPOS,
if they are using the program to its fullest, they also have a network.
If they have a network its almost a sure thing that their server will
handle a jump drive. Thus, two files is good. But one file is practical -
especially considering how often we update these servers.

(Elaborating... you can pull the files off of the server maybe in a shared
folder called 'source' or something that isn't the global folder.)

FormicaFun
Forum Regular

Post by FormicaFun » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:25 pm

Offer both?

One file for those who will be using a network/computer that's already connected to the internet, or have jump/flash/etc drives that can handle files larger than 1.44mb. Just to make life easy.

Also offer the two file option, for those who will be transfering this to a disk to then transfer to a non-internet connected network/computer. Well that and I like the idea of putting the "fun" parts of the application (BIGPOLE, SOUNDSCAN, REMOTE, LOOKUP) in a seperate file so that beginners aren't to overwhelmed with all the options, and can just simply get the registers setup and working before adding in the cool side-kicks.

-Ryan :o)

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:57 pm

Let me offer another option.

Many files are downloaded time after time even if they have not changed.

How about you offering a choice of downloading an upgrade with only the amended files or a complete package.
The complete package could be one ZIP file.

The unzipped complete file could then consist of folder Disk1, Disk2, Disk3 and Disk 4.
Each that will fit on one 1.44mb stiffy which can be used to upgrade the system.

The whole picture will however change if you would still want to provide for people that still use 720k floppies.(Ha Ha)

ToPS