Gross Profit/ Margin

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

bobcar
Occasional Poster
Gross Profit/ Margin

Post by bobcar » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:49 am

Dale
I have been testing your program for several months and even though it does everything you say it does, very well, I need, and I believe most other small retailers do as well, a program that will not only give me my sales for a given period (day, month,year etc.), but will also tell me how much I made on those sales.
This could be achieved by utilising the cost applied to each stock item in the stock file and applying it against the sale price for that item, as a value and as a %.
Gross Profit or Profit Margin knowledge is important as a decision making tool when deciding what or how much stock to order or to discontinue.
I see nowhere in DHPOS where this information is or can be obtained on daily sales.
Please tell me I am wrong.
Looking back at previous posts I cannot see where the Gross Profit question has previously been raised and this amazes me.
Dale, could you please tell me if DHPOS can, could or will be able to do this, or should I consider installing another program?
Many thanks for your endless work ethic.
Bobcar

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:42 pm

DHPOS doesn't store cost prices - so you would have to work it out from one of the merchandise reports which can be saved to disk and opened in Excel.

If you want sales by day - when you close the register daily, you need to reset merchandise data at the end of each day. If weekly, reset it once a week and so on...

Merchandise data is enabled/disabled from POSCONFG.

Gross profit has been discussed before - just not on this new forum - head to http://return.no-ip.org/n54/search_archive.htm and search for it there.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Profit.

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Feb 11, 2004 7:52 pm

Andrew,

Actually the stock table does have a field for "COST".

<hr>

bobcar,

The profit thing has been discussed before in the forum archives and will be done eventually. Until then you can export the stock table to a comma delimited file that can then be uploaded into any spreadsheet program and then you can figure out profit, or anything else you want, from there.
Dale

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:41 pm

My apologies - I had not seen that :P
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

bobcar
Occasional Poster

Gross Profit

Post by bobcar » Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:12 pm

Andrew & Dale

Thank you for your replies.
All I am asking for is a report that includes sales value and cost. From there I can generate all the information I need. Without it, it is very difficult to achieve the desired result.
Yes, it is simple to generate Gross Profits in excel from the stock table which is very useful, but not so easy to identify Gross Profits on period sales.
I guess that if not enough people request it it will not happen but I see it as making DHPOS complete.
Regards
Bobcar