windows 98se networking

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

fj45lvr
Occasional Poster
windows 98se networking

Post by fj45lvr » Tue May 23, 2006 6:37 am

I want to know if you have to modify the autoexec.bat to be able to have the computer that has the global file and a register with a single hardrive to be able to use the same path for the global file. You get an error message when you try to use the path that the other registers on the network use (f:\global in my case)....if you must change the autoexec.bat to be able to name an f: drive (because you cannot map it on the same computer) does anyone know how one does that in a detailed process so that everytime the computer is turned on it will still be there.

Thanks frustrated in the West...

fj45lvr
Occasional Poster

I think I found the solution.

Post by fj45lvr » Tue May 23, 2006 1:58 pm

I think I may have figured it out if this makes sense:

It seems that the instructions of how to set-up the network are "off" possibly because if you have 2 computers networked to have working cash registers each using windows98 (with the sole protocol of net beui (sp?) verified working network) you would actually not use the same location path in the NETWORK option of the POSCONFG.EXE for the three different registers (2 pos and 1 global) but rather on the computer that does NOT contain the global register files (I'll call it #2) you would map a path to the global folder directly (once you have shared the file that contains the global register located on the C drive of computer #1 in a filefolder named GLOBAL located at C:\GLOBAL on computer #1) I mapped this as "F:\" and did not need "F:\GLOBAL" as per instruction...then on computer #1 which contains both a local pos register and the global pos register the path in the network assignment in POSCONFIG.EXE run in each program file for these was not "F:\GLOBAL" as per the instructions but rather was C:\GLOBAL which is the same location but different than instructions that says they should all be F:\GLOBAL.

so to be clear on the whole shebang here

Computer with only 1 sales register, the register files located within C:\POS on its own C: drive. It has the same register name as the other sales register and the global register and when running POSCONFG.EXE contained the path F:\ (assigned directly to the folder found at C:\GLOBAL on the other computer) and is toggled to be local; assigned register letter B

The other Computer with both a single sales register and the global register:

the single sales register files located at C:\POS on its own C: drive was given the the following network info in POSCONFG.EXE run from the C:\POS location -- path entered C:\GLOBAL; register letter A; toggled to be local

The global register files located at C:\GLOBAL on its own C: drive were given the folling network info when POSCONFG.EXE was run from the this folder: path C:\GLOBAL; register letter C; toggled to be GLOBAL

I started up the global register, exited through option 3, then started up the 2 sales registers and rang up 1 piece of the same item on each register and then closed them and then finally closed the global register...when I started up the Global register again it showed the inventory of that item had decreased by 2 pieces so I am assuming it is all good???

Do you think it is a good idea to assign the global register a seperate register letter than the others or can it be left blank????

I am not very adept to computers and this process was very confusing to me if I even have it completely right.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue May 23, 2006 5:20 pm

The instructions are perfectly correct - as many people have successfully networked DHPOS without hassle.

On the non-global PC, you did not need to enter F:\GLOBAL as the path, as you had mapped the F drive direct into the folder, rather than to the C drive of PC #1.

On every non-global PC, you must enter the networked path to the global folder, of course on the global PC you do not enter a network path as the files are on the same PC. You would enter the local path e.g. C:\GLOBAL.

In your summary you said that the non-global register is pointing at C:\GLOBAL, should this be F:\GLOBAL ?
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue May 23, 2006 7:04 pm

Because I'm such a giving person I whipped up a simple slideshow explaining the whole process in almost excruciatingly painful detail.

http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~andrewbunn ... _DHPOS.htm
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

fj45lvr
Occasional Poster

correct instructions

Post by fj45lvr » Tue May 23, 2006 8:07 pm

You made a statement that is not apart of the instructions and should be:

On every non-global PC, you must enter the networked path to the global folder, of course on the global PC you do not enter a network path as the files are on the same PC. You would enter the local path e.g. C:\GLOBAL.

The instructions only state to name each path the same and they use F:\GLOBAL as the example...this of course is not possible...what it should say is that every computer except the one with the global register...I think.

Thanks

FJ