POS shuts down

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

mrdmng
Forum Regular
POS shuts down

Post by mrdmng » Fri May 26, 2006 7:35 pm

There are times that POS will shut down for no particular reasons. There are no specific actions at the time of the shut down.

Sometimes it will happen when I press + to total the sale, or when I enter the amount tendered, and other times when I am just about to start a sale (entering the stock number) or when I close the register at the end of the day.

It usually happen around the 12th-14th transaction of the day, sometimes later.

The transaction needs to be re-entered as the original sale was never completed.

Then, when I print a receipt or close report, it will print 2 headers or leave a large blank space at the top of the page.

Any ideas as to what is happening? I am using v6.38 on Win XP but it's also happened many times with previous POS versions as well.

Mario

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Sun May 28, 2006 5:28 am

I've tested and run POS in several different environments - Win ME, Win XP, MS-DOS and FREEDOS and found it totally reliable. The only problem I've had happened recently when I had a system crash after some time (usually when it had been standing idle for a while). I had the message 'PARITY CHECK' come up and I traced it to what I think was an unknown hardware fault or error - probably to do with the hard disk.

Other than that the disk seemed to run fine, especially if it was kept 'working'.

I'd suggest that you have something similar. I doubt it's anything to do with the software. Try changing your hard drive for starters. I'll bet you that will solve your problem.

grahamsw
Forum Regular

cheeper solution (acctually Free)

Post by grahamsw » Sun May 28, 2006 11:54 am

Okay, Changing the harddrive may be a bit drastic for startng.
First try defraging the harddrive let us know what happens

just my way to try to save your $0.02
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS