DHPOS On Dumb Terminals

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Would you be interested in this?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 7

grahamsw
Forum Regular
DHPOS On Dumb Terminals

Post by grahamsw » Fri May 26, 2006 10:16 pm

Okay, so i have all these older Datageneral Termanals along with some triadterms, The datagenrals can run in VT100 mode and i am not sure about the triads I can ethier connect the datagenerals with a modem cable to com1 or maybe a phone line style serial cable to a interface card that i have. I would rather use the COM port and some kind of a terminal emulator. I am just looking to ring sales, No returns, No popping cash drawers, i don't even need to print recipts now but i may be looking to later. i feel that this could be a verry useful for some people who have these terminals. By putting a interface card in you could even run 2-3-4 or even more terminals and save recourses. Please post your thoughts on this and if anyone has any experiebce with this would they please email me or contact me via another interface(IM, Email, PM etc)
Thank you in advance
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS

grahamsw
Forum Regular

umm

Post by grahamsw » Sat May 27, 2006 6:54 pm

So i am simply asking is there any way to run a dos program on a VT100 Terminal?
Please respond
Graham Wakefield

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Sun May 28, 2006 5:19 am

Sorry Graham - can't see why anyone would want to go to all the trouble of making POS work in that sort of environment when you can pick up old PII PCs off ebay for absolute peanuts.

Dumb terminals are just that - dumb. I'd chuck em all in the skip - but then that's just me. I don't like to make things harder than they need be.

Unless you're looking for a purpose in life that is - weird, but a purpose... :?

grahamsw
Forum Regular

true

Post by grahamsw » Mon May 29, 2006 1:10 pm

Rollerball,
i have decided to follow your advice and i have ditched this project. I am now looking for help with siemens nixdorf equipment. See my other post

If a admin wants to they can close this topic
Graham Wakefield