Translation

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Translation

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:48 pm

Hello Dale,

Here in my community there is a large population of Hmong (Laos Refugees) and most speak english as there second langauge. Some of them have shops, but they have a hard time understanding us southerns sometimes. Ya'll, Howda, etc. I was wanting to translate your register into Hmong dialect. From what I've read they did not have a standard written language but where taught via orally and recently since they moved to the US they created a langauge using the English Alphabet.

Would it be possible to translate your POS program to Hmong version? but keep the products and tickets in English? Obviously I would need a translation of Hmong from english.

Yours,
George B

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

POS translations

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Feb 15, 2004 6:38 pm

George,

Currently you can use the "Receipt language" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program to translate the labels on the receipts into any laguage you want as long as it uses the Latin alphabet.

Eventually this feature will be expanded to allow anyone to translate the entire program. But this is a long way off.

Manaully translating the program (rewriting the source code) is a nightmare. A couple of years ago when the POS program was much smaller I translated just POS.EXE file into Spanish, this took 6 weeks. Once that was done I then had two version of the program to upgrade when I added new features to the the program, not fun, soon after I gave up on the spanish version.

So the answer is, "Not now, but someday."
Dale

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Open-Language

Post by ChrisKraus » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:17 pm

I like the idea of this "open-language" concept, this way, you can set the labels to anything you want. :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus