POS on Simens Nixdorf

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

grahamsw
Forum Regular
POS on Simens Nixdorf

Post by grahamsw » Sun May 28, 2006 7:07 pm

Hi all,
I recently aquired a siemens nixdorf beetle that i have put DHPOS on. Ths system runs dos and works great and pos works graet too. The problem that i have incurred is that the nixdorf hardware dosent work great but some of it works. The display works, the keyboard works. (not the MSR but i dont really care at all) Now my problems are the cashdrawer, the printer LPT( works somewhat) and the pole display. I have a ND series printer with the cashdrawer and pole display attached and i can get it to print but it is too big so the text overlaps and cuts the last 2 digits. I have no idea how to program the pole display to work or even if i can, The cashdrawer will open when i run the selftest and it can be plugged into the printer or into the terminal via a circular port. I have no idea how to make it work. If anyone can help me or give me some info i would really appriciate it. I am good with most retail systems including ibm etc and with nixdorf using their own software, but this has me stumped. thanks in advance
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS

SwedaGuy
Forum Regular

Post by SwedaGuy » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:28 pm

I hate to say this, but probably a waste of time...

Their hardware is essentially a souped up PC, with special interfaces for POS related hardware. Unfortunately, the devil is in the details, as they say, and those details are really hard to come by. You will have a difficult time getting the control codes necessary to support the proprietary printer, displays, NVRAM and MSR.

Unless you find a dealer you can bribe, that information is confidential and proprietary, and it's not likely they will share it with an end user. Honestly, you would have better luck running PC-MOS on a good 486 and using those dumb terminals you were talking about on the other thread.

If you really want to have an integrated platform for this kind of software, look at the old Fujitsu Atrium or TeamPos 5000 hardware--both of those terminals are easier to come by, as is the information necessary to control their POS related features. I would imagine you can still get the drivers from Fujitsu, or if not, possibly even from me...
There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary, and those that do not...