Print Error 248 HELP!!!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

bookmonger99
Occasional Poster
Print Error 248 HELP!!!

Post by bookmonger99 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:58 pm

The line reads, "Devise fault in line 7 of module POS 3 at address 2A06:46AETAX

So what is the way to fix this? Any suggestions? I'm using a 386 that is not on line and only has a floppy drive.

BTW I love my POS system and now have a regular register that I would gladly give away for the answer to this dilema.

So H E L P ! ! ! And thank you,
Bookmonger99

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Printer error.

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:30 pm

bookmonger99,

What were you trying to do when the error happened and what was on the screen just before the error.
Dale

bookmonger99
Occasional Poster

Print Error 248 HELP!!!

Post by bookmonger99 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:11 pm

I was ringing in a sale and getting ready to print. The screen was closing out the sale, was in the final stages of it. So the print error comes up and then the printer won't work and the cash drawer won't open. Everything is normal up to this point.
My printer is an Espon TM300 Pd. I've used your system for over two years with little if any problems. Very happy with it.

Sandi

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

One time error?

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:13 pm

bookmonger99,

Is this a one time error or can you reproduce it?

A device error means that the program could not access an external device like a printer, cash drawer, pole display, etc. If it has been working fine for two years and this is the only time there is a problem then it could be some Windows random act of supidity.
Dale

bookmonger99
Occasional Poster

Print Error 248 HELP!!!

Post by bookmonger99 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:23 pm

Unfortunetly I can reproduce this and that's what i'm afraid that it is some random act of stupidy on Windows 3 part. Know of any cure or is there anything I can do that would help that you can think of? If i reloaded the program (yours) do you think this might help? I have this wonderful register from Sharp that would take a genius, or at the very least some one better than I am to program it. It's not the tiniest bit friendly when it comes to this. Want it? I'll ship it to you... I just love my POS system it was and is so friendly. I take it this is a new problem and probably my OLD system doesn't help any. Oh well I thought maybe some one could help.
Thanks for listening to me anyway
Sandi

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Disk full?

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:33 pm

bookmonger99,

You say the computer you are using ony has a floppy. Does this mean that it does not have a hard drive?

Is the floppy disk full? Or if you have a hard drive is that full?
Dale

bookmonger99
Occasional Poster

Print Error 248 HELP!!!

Post by bookmonger99 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:46 pm

Dale,
It has a hard drive and no it's not full. I run a used book store and have very few items on this computer. ie, 17 items. I've had more but everytime it changes I clean up the hard drive. When I said it only has a floppy and not conected to the Internet I was indicating that any information I need to transfer to it has to fit on a floppy. No CD either, it's very old system Hewlett packard Vectra VL2 425e. I bought two of these babies from a store that went out of business. Got a super deal they wiped their system out (POS) and my hubby found yours on the Internet. (This is probably far more information than you ever wanted.)
Sorry, just trying to fill in as much info that I can, hoping to find a cure.
Bookmonger99

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:19 pm

bookmonger99,

The only thing I can think of is to try out your problem here. can you please send to me an email with the following files attached from the folder that holds the POS program files.

I need the files that have these extensions .TBL .IDX and .POS

BTW, what version of the program are you using. If you are using an old version this problem could have been solved long ago. The current version is 6.39

Dale
Dale

bookmonger99
Occasional Poster

Print Error 248 HELP!!!

Post by bookmonger99 » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:33 pm

Dale,
I will work on this again tomorrow as I am now approaching that magical hour of closing and going home.

I'm working the version that came out in 2004 or 3... right now I can't tell you for sure what it is, i've unhooked the POS but tomorrow i will tackle hooking it back up and see if possibly I can install a more current version and see if this does it?

Thanks for your input.
Bookmonger99

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Upgrading version

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:58 pm

Bookmonger99,

If you have a version from 2003 or 2004 then you have a very old version. Please try an upgrade and be sure to follow these instructions http://keyhut.com/upgrade.htm#current

I cannot use the work "backup" enough so....

backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup backup PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Dale

bookmonger99
Occasional Poster

upgraded

Post by bookmonger99 » Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:56 pm

Dale,
I did backup and installed upgrade and it still does the exact thing. I've now come to the conclusion that what I need is to try a different machine. A computer literate (?) customer came in today and she said some times old computers, such as mine, 386 corrupt themselves. And uninstalling and re-installing "won't" fix the problem.
We have another system exactlyh like this one at home that we're not using so I'm going to reinstall the update on that one tonight (I hope) and maybe it will work for a while. The one I'm using right now says "printer error 216" and I can do #3 turn off quick printer error trap and it will print. But eventually it doesn't want to work with that... Does that make any more sense to you? Probably not, me either. But I'm tired of trying to fix it. Want to fly to Oregon and fix it for me?
bookmonger99 :roll:

grahamsw
Forum Regular

YEPPPPP

Post by grahamsw » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:35 pm

This is true, sometimes older computers have harddrive and other access problems that can cause corruption. I have a older Sony Vaio With Windows NT4 you can have if you want, just pay s+h. I used it as a register for EVER and only had one problem where the original stock harddrive died. The Machiene is a 350 MHz range and works fine. let me know.
Graham
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS