APRINT2 problem and errors!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

stuckperson
Forum Regular
APRINT2 problem and errors!

Post by stuckperson » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:56 am

Hi, I was having the problem that my printer would try to print millions of pages, so I followed the instructions of an earlier post and deleted the file mentioned, the long file name made up of what appears to be random letters, the problem is now when I try to print my printer tells me I have an error, and it wont budge. I'm trying to print through a canon pixma ip1500 connected through a usb port, the program is recognising the printer is there and that its available, it just won't print the receipts.
Any help is appreciated.

Thank you :D

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:20 pm

stuckperson,

Gwenyth had the same problem and sent her WLSDFKJN.DRY file to me. I ran it and had the same problem as you are having. Here is what I did to get my printer to print again.

1. Delete the WLSDFKJN.DRY file in your POS folder.

2. Reboot the computer. When it comes back up it will tell you that you have print jobs in the stack. Click on [Cancel] to delete them.

3. Unplug your printer. Don't just turn it off, unplug it.

4. Plug the printer back in.

That solved the problem here.

I have sent Jon (the author of the APRINT programs) Gwenyth's WLSDFKJN.DRY file and a description of the problem so we should have a permanent solution soon.
Dale

mmioperations
Occasional Poster

Post by mmioperations » Wed Jun 07, 2006 12:51 am

also if you are having trouble with print jobs stuck in queue, try stopping the spooler service in windows (found in control panel -> administrative tools -> services -> spooler service) click stop service than click start service again, most problems solved this way.

stuckperson
Forum Regular

Post by stuckperson » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:20 am

Got it working now guys, many thanks to you both!

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Jon

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:20 pm

I have heard from Jon and he is working on the problem. Knowing Jon I am expecting a new version of APRINT soon.
Dale

stuckperson
Forum Regular

Post by stuckperson » Sat Jun 10, 2006 4:03 am

Great :D

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

The fix is in

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:52 pm

I heard again from Jon and he says that the problem should be easy to fix (probably) and he should have a new APRIN2.EXE file in a day or two.
Dale

stuckperson
Forum Regular

Post by stuckperson » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:28 am

fantastic. Is there any eta on the customer accounts addition Dale?
Not hassling, just wondering :)

Other than that does anyone know any free software that will keep track of customer accounts for me? Its all done by pen and paper at the moment and it needs upgrading :cry:

dhUser
Forum Regular

Post by dhUser » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:44 am

stuckperson wrote:fantastic. Is there any eta on the customer accounts addition Dale?
Not hassling, just wondering :)

Other than that does anyone know any free software that will keep track of customer accounts for me? Its all done by pen and paper at the moment and it needs upgrading :cry:
Try Petrasell Lite
http://www.petrasell.com

dhUser
dhuser
Thanks for your support

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

A fix, maybe

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:23 pm

Jon and I were working on the APRINT problem in chat tonight. Actually Jon was working on it and I was moral support.

But Jon thinks he now knows what the problem is and has a fix for it. The fix should be ready by tomorrow morning and I will post it here.

But we really need you folks to download it and do some beta testing with it.

Please, please, please.

We have been working on this for 3 weeks and we only need you to try it out for a day. So how about helping out?
Dale

stuckperson
Forum Regular

Post by stuckperson » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:40 am

of course.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Update.

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:04 pm

The problem with the print spooling for thousands of pages was caused by the POS program sending a line of 80 ASCII (0) characters (it is a computer thing, don't even try to understand it) to the file that the APRINT program sends to the printer.

Unfortunately the APRINT program cannot handle a line of ASCII (0) characters so it goes nuts and keeps sending the line to the printer in an endless loop that would continue until it filled up your hard drive, or in the case of a really huge hard drive, you died of old age.

So there are two solutions to this problem. The one I like is to change the APRINT program so that it does not go psychotic when in runs into a bunch of ASCII (0) characters. I like this first because it requires no work on my part (APRINT is Jon's baby) and second because the APRINT program would only have to be fixed in one place.

The other option is to fix the POS.EXE program to not send a bunch of ASCII (0) characters to the file that APRINT reads. This is much harder because it requires that I get off my butt to do it and the fact that there are hundreds of places in the POS.EXE program that prints stuff.

Jon has been working on the first option now for about a month. While progress has been made it has still not been solved. So I decided to work on option #2.

So far the only report of this problem is from when someone tries to print a report. No one has reported this problem when trying to print anything else. I have fixed the problem in reports.

So my question is, has anyone run into the problem of the printer locking up by spooling thousands of pages when using APRINT to print anything other than reports? Or does this problem only occur when printing a report?
Dale

satvlaanderen

Post by satvlaanderen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:18 pm

I installed this program 3 day's ago and it is exactly what I need.
The only problem is that my printer is spooling thousands of pages when printing a ticket on the printer.
A stock report prints fine.
I searched the HDD for a WLSDFKJN.DRY file, no file found. So thats not the problem.
On the first page I see 2 lines of the header and the it only spools paper.
I hope you can help me with this problem.
My satellite equipment shop opens in April.

THX in advance

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:17 pm

What version of the program are you using?

satvlaanderen

Post by satvlaanderen » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:38 am

Version 6.39g (downloaded on monday 8/1/2007)
but in the register.txt it is written 6.39f