making some features easier to access

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

tryklief
making some features easier to access

Post by tryklief » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:37 am

hi dale,

i have 3 questions for you...
again as you heard before this pos is an excellent software.

1) is it possible for you to incorporate the purchase program staright into the pos program (at the reports menu) as some people using the pos are computer illiterate and navigating thru dos could be painful for them.

2) the inventory and receiving program - is it possible to make the process easier? where after you save the pieces entered into the program it automatically ask you to backup or not the stock table then automatically add the *.rcv or *.inv file to the stock table. with the push of one button. again my reason is for computer illiterate staff/cashiers.

3) any chance of adding a feature where the receipt could print a custom logo on it?

thank you - again love this dos program, very feature rich!
tariq :)
tariq

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:27 am

I can't comment on 1 nor 2.

As for 3: DHPOS is a DOS based program, and as such it is increasingly hard to do good graphics on-screen let alone to a printer. It can only print text - so you would require a printer with a built in memory to store a logo which the printer would print itself, with no intervention from DHPOS.

Other than that, APRINT could possibly print a logo, but you'd need to talk to Jon Simpson who writes that 3rd party tool.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

grahamsw
Forum Regular

for a logo

Post by grahamsw » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:46 am

Most POS programs dont print logos-speed issues- What you need is a printer that supports embedded logos- then the logo willprint on every recipt

Good luck

GSW
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Stuff

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:26 am

tryklief,

Q1) Is it possible for you to incorporate the purchase program staright into the pos program (at the reports menu) as some people using the pos are computer illiterate and navigating thru dos could be painful for them.
A1) If you are using the POS program on a Windows computer it is simple to put the icon for the purchase program on the desktop as a short cut. The purchase program is designed to be used only infrequently (once a month, twice?) to reorder merchandise from suppliers and has nothing to do with ringing sales. There is not reason for cashiers to run the purchase program.

Q2) The inventory and receiving program - is it possible to make the process easier? where after you save the pieces entered into the program it automatically ask you to backup or not the stock table then automatically add the *.rcv or *.inv file to the stock table. with the push of one button. again my reason is for computer illiterate staff/cashiers.
A2) These two programs are designed to be run on other computers than the cash register computer. That way you can receive merchandise on one computer while you are ringing up sales on another. In a moderately sized store you will have a receiving room, dock, whatever, where the merchandise is received. However you do not want to enter the received merchandise into the stock table until it is moved from the dock into the stock rooms. That is why loading the merchandise from the receiving file into the stock table is done on the register and not the receiving computer.

Q3) Any chance of adding a feature where the receipt could print a custom logo on it?
A3) DHPOS is DOS software and graphics sent to a printer in DOS is really tough, for example you cannot use the Windows printer drivers from DOS. Would you like to write some DOS printer drivers for the cause? Some receipt printers will store a graphic in memory and then print them when they receive a command to do so. However for that to happen I would have to have one of those printers to experiment with to get it to print the graphic. And of course the solution would only work with that printer. Unfortunatly the "free" thing is a knife that cuts both ways. It is really neat that everyone is getting free software but that also means that there is not money coming in here to go out and purchase a bunch of different printers.
Dale

grahamsw
Forum Regular

UMM

Post by grahamsw » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:20 pm

Hi , its me again. About the reciept printer with graphics, we had a person with a epson come in to show it to use to ask us about compatibility with another pos software. i had it overnight to work with (umm yea i worked on it with 2 spools of paper) It worked flawlessly with dhpos, i have no complaints

Sadly i do not have the model number. But it was epson so i will guess that most epsons with this feature would work

Good luck
GSW
Graham Wakefield
Wakefield Tech Services and Mobile POS