Zeros at the Beginning of Item Codes Question

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Sulk
Forum Regular
Zeros at the Beginning of Item Codes Question

Post by Sulk » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:58 pm

Is it possible to enable a "0" at the beginning of item codes? We use a 6 digit item code system so when an item code that starts with a 1 will be typed in as 010001 while an 11 is typed as 110001. I did some importing and all went well except that item codes that start with a "0" has its zero set to the next non-zero digit.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:19 pm

Nope, stock codes are numerical and any computer will trim the leading zeros off as they do not affect the numerical value of the number.

You could use vendor stock numbers in the stock table, but they are a bit more fidgety when scanning items in as you have to press a certain key (* I think) to search by vendor stock number.

Vendor stock numbers are alphanumerical.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Leading zeros.

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:43 pm

I guess that I should go into this with some more details.

Andrew is correct in that the program deals with stock numbers as numbers and that leading zeros will not affect the value of a number. For example 1234 and 00000001234 have the same exact numerical value.

A far as storing the stock numbers as numbers but displaying them with leading zeros the question then becomes "how many leading zeros?"

UPC codes are 12 digits long, EAN-13 are 13 digits long, EAN-14 are 14 digits long but you use 6 digits. The company I work for uses 5 digits in their registers. And I am sure that other companies use stock numbers from 4 to 14 digits long.

So the obvious solution is to then be able to enter the number of digits used in stock numbers in the POSCONFG.EXE program which sounds simple but the real problem is to then track down every part of the program that displays / prints the stock numbers and add code to change them all.

Is the time, effort, and code space worth it?
Dale

Sulk
Forum Regular

Post by Sulk » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:13 am

It's not really worth the work.

Thank you.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:26 pm

Andrew:
Vendor Stock Codes are * to enter them in a transaction.
- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus