Portable Scanner For Stock Data Input

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

RollerBall
Forum Regular
Portable Scanner For Stock Data Input

Post by RollerBall » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:30 am

Has anyone had any experience of using a portable barcode scanner for capturing data?

I'm wondering whether it would be possible to use a portable barcode scanner in the stock room to read incoming stock data into the DHPOS 'Receive Stock' module. I know very little about these things but from what I've read you can program them to update lookup databases from scanned barcodes so it would seem to be only a small step for it to update the 'Receive Stock' file which is itself a form of database.

The file could then be sent to the PC on which DHPOS is installed to be read in the normal way. See the following link for reference.

http://www.telepen-barcode.co.uk/images ... 2004-2.pdf

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Portable Barcode stanner

Post by brucef2112 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:40 am

Months ago I did some checking and found that most BC scanner start at hundreds of dollars and quickly went to thousands by the time you got the scanner and their software to run the thing.

Here is how I solved the need to scan inventory on the shelf and not spending a bunch of money.

Get a hand held PDA:
I dusted off an old Handspring Visor I had laying in a desk drawer for years. New batteries and a restore from the backup module and I was ready to go. The OS version on it was 3. something.
You can find them real cheap these days on ebay $10 - $40 dollars.
You need one of the older PDAs that have the module bay on the back of the PDA (not the newer ones that need an adapter to use external card. ie Treos are a no go) Handspring Visor or Visor Deluxe will do just fine.

Get a Barcode Reader Module for the Handspring:
Get a Symbol CSM-150 Bar Code Scanner for Handspring Visor Handhelds. This item is insainly great! Don't look for a new one. Even if you find one new they are very expensive (this is a discontinued item).
I found a used one on the net for $35 dollars. This is one of those items that either work or don't work.

Get Some Software:
You aren't going to do anything without some software.
DoInventory Plus™ (Palm OS & Windows)
Palm OS® handheld software and PC desktop software is the best value and does what is says. Note that this application has the handheld software PLUS it also incorporates a desktop application companion that runs on the PC.
The software costs $25 dollars and worth every dollar. Compared to other apps out there for the Handspring costing hundreds of dollars but don't include a PC desktop software; This program is a gem. You can also try before you buy!

Now that you've spent about $100 buck for hardware and software, slide the Symbo Barcode scanner in the Handspring. The module has the software imbedded on the card so there is nothing else to do except plug the module in. The OS sees the scanner and your ready to scan stuff. It comes with a test program to test the scanner with 10's of different barcode types.

Install the DoInventory software on your PC and sync the PDA to install the handheld software.

Export your DHPOS inventory and import it into the PDA and your ready to go!

The DHPOS Receiving program can not import external data files, so for this part you are out of luck until the DHPOS Gods and Data Gods feel bad enough for us and make a change to DHPOS to allow the creation of receiving files from external data.

However this is a great inventory tool and it can't be done any cheaper than this.
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

bob5731
Forum Regular

what it is supposed to do exactly

Post by bob5731 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:32 pm

Hi
I have a p470
what it is supposed to do exactly
P.S. God Loves You And Have A Good Day!!!
http://god5731.myftp.org/

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:11 pm

Bob>

The use of the P470 depends on the model that you've purchased:

If You've purchased a Keyed model (has number keys etc)

Than your scanner is intended for use in an external Inventory Management Application.

If you've purchased a keyless scanner than your scanner is intended for general scanning and input to the point of sales transaction and it is not intended for Inventory Management Applications the screen (If it has one) is to verify the price and Product ID of the Product if the correct software is implmented into your Point of Sales System