Letters in Item #

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Letters in Item #

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:02 pm

Howdy all
I was really excited to try out this program, and did all the config and was about to start entering in my stock into the system, but I cannot enter them in. All my stock has 3 letters and then three numbers, but it seems to want only numbers in for the stock.

Is there any way around this or is this something I can change? Unfortunately, I won't be able to use this program if there isn't.

Also, I got into a screen during the config that allows modifying numbers and their location on the receipt but I accidently went past the text screen and I couldn't just back out of the editing screen (said (from memory) something about not enough ### or not valid number field entries) and wouldn't let me out of that screen so I had to Kill the process to get me out of that screen.

Also, there seems to be a limitation on the # of keys in a password for the file name access (one of the first screens I came to following the manual) b/c when I tried to open it up later, there were only enough letters for seven or so letters, but my password had about 10. Sorry for being so vague, as I am trying to recall from memory (for both these "Also's) from several days ago

:)

Just for the record, I am starting up a small Ma&Pa gardening store with expected annual sales of $28M (hey a guy can dream :) )

Many thanks!

GAWG
Forum Regular

Post by GAWG » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:02 pm

Whoops, this is my post, but I didn't auto-login!

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Vendor stock numbers

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:29 pm

GAWG,

While it is true that the regular stock numbers can only contain numbers you can also use "Vendor stock number" to ring up items and they can contain up to 30 of any characters. You fill in the "Vendor stock number" for each item in the stock table where you enter the rest of the information about each item.

Even though you will be using the vendor stock numbers to ring up your items you must still give each item you sell a regular numeric stock number. The rest of the program will refer to your items using the regular numeric stock numbers.

Use the "Vendor list" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program to set the number of items you want to search through when looking up a "Vendor stock number". This value is currently set to zero meaning that you cannot enter items by "Vendor stock number". When ringing up an item searching for it by "Vendor stock number" is slower than by the numeric stock number so you want the number of items to be searched to be as low as possible but make sure that it is large enough to find the last line in your stock table that has merchandise in it.

Now that you have set the value in "Vendor list" you can ring up items using the "Vendor stock number". When you are ringing up an item and it askes you for the stock number press [*] instead and you will be able to enter the "Vendor stock number" to ring up that item.

The part of the program you were in that let you change the receipts was probably the "receipt language" feature of the POSCONFG.EXE program. It is important that you go back there and check to see that the ###.## fields for ringing up reductions are still there. If they are not the bottom of the screen will tell you which key to press to reset all the values to their defaults. Do so!

The maximum lenght of both setting and entering passwords is 8 characters. The is no way to set more than 8 characters for a password. If you type in more than 8 characters then all the characters 8 and over will ignored except for the last character entered which will then be the 8 character of the password. For example, if you entered 1234567<u>89012</u>3 the characters underlined will be ignored and the password will be 12345673
Dale

GAWG
Forum Regular

Post by GAWG » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:18 am

Thx for the reply
I will try this and report back

Also, I noticed that Stock numbers cannot be entered as 001 as it doesn't seem to accept leading zero's.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Numbers

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:29 am

GAWG,

Yep, that is true. The program stores stock numbers as numbers. It does not store leading zeros because 00012345 and 12345 have the exact same numeric value.
Dale