POSSIBLE BUG (sale parking)

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

lemon535
Forum Regular
POSSIBLE BUG (sale parking)

Post by lemon535 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:58 am

Ok Im going to try my best at describing this.....(regarding sales parking)

I have 4 computers on a network running DHPOS!

I was playing round with it the other night, increasing my skillz and i have discovered something!

OK first off lets say I have 4 registers names REG-A REG-B REG-C and REG-D

Right! at this point in time all registers have sales rung up!

coincedently all 4 registers have annoying customers and the sales have to be parked.

Again "coincedently" REG-A accesses the SALE PARK, then REG-B tries to but ends up in the queue, then REG-C tries but ends up in the queue and then REG-D tries to enter but enters the queue.

OK! REG-A has finished using the sales parking so then REG-B gets access to the parking area.

HOWEVER

When REG-B has finished BOTH REG-C and REG-D get access
to the sales parking. Which if coincedently the sales could be saved under the same parked access code, therfore one of the sales would be lost.

I know that the chances of this actually happening are low, but its something i discovered and want to know what you think. Does anybody else want to try and see if it happens to them?? also im not sure if this might affect it but 2PCS are on WIFI and 2 are wired!

ok thats me done!...............

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

One curtomer at two different registers?

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:45 am

Lemon535.

That is a problem but I know of no way in DOS when unlocking the file to then limit access to only one register. That would have to be done by the network software. As far as two different registers using the same code to save their sales at the exact same time one way to prevent that would be give each register a set of unique codes to use. for example all sales parked on register "C" would have to use a parking code that would start with "C" like "C45" In a restaurant you would use either the table number or the server number.
Dale

lemon535
Forum Regular

good idea

Post by lemon535 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:11 am

YER thats a really logical idea, i dnt actually think it would ever become a problem with anyone, just thought it'd mention it, thanks for your quick reply!