POSnet - complete BETA version.

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:24 am

You use the POS.EXE program to enter the PIN numbers.

If you want an emailed reply - tick the "Notify me when a reply is posted" box when posting a message to the forum.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

bazza

bug report from bazz.

Post by bazza » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:57 am

[1] in file maintence, some of the icons from 6 onwards, are not seen and cannot be selected.

[2] When trying to void, 'admin' password is typed in ok, but Employee ID still comes up? (bug or feature?)

[3] In POSCONFG, when you go to Inventory and select the first option, the program terminates unexpectantly.

[4] In POSCONFG, recepit labelling, using the TAB doesn't move from left to right, top to bottom between "data fields".

[5] In POS INVENTORY, there is no way to get back to POS.

[6] In File Maintence, option 7 is removed in Global.

[7] When reading receiving file, error occurs.

[8] funny files appear in the directory. If the normal file is "NETWORK.XXX", then the files
_ETWORK
_ETWORK.a01
_ETWORK.a02
_ETWORK.a03
_ETWORK.hst
_ETWORK.idx
_ETWORK.pos
_ETWORK.rcv
_ETWORK.tbl

[9] there is no number 9 problem

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Stuff

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:01 am

Barry,

When used in network mode there are some things you cannot do from the "local" folder and some other things you cannot do from the "global" folder. In those cases the options will be deleted from the menus.

INVENTORY is a separate program from POS and there is no link to go back to POS because in many cases INVENTORY and RECEIVE may be running on computers that are not also being used as registers and do not have those program files.

To keep two copies of the program from writing to the same file at the same time another file is used as a "gateway" to the file. Those are the files that begin with the underscore.

I will check the rest of the stuff out today although in the cases where the program died could you tell me what the error messages were?
Dale

bazza

for the inventory error....

Post by bazza » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:28 pm

for the inventory error....

it said:
"file not found....
"F8DB:32A2 "

most of the error message was 'blotted' out for some reason, but it was hard to see what the error was.

bazz/

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

8 points

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:01 pm

Barry,

[1] When used in a local folder you are not supposed to be able to use options 7 - 9. In the next version to be uploaded I have resized the menu so that the user will not even know that there are missing options.

[2] Its a feature

[3] Tried it and it worked here fine. Are you sure that you have the PATH set to the correct folder?

[4] It works for me. You can also move by pressing [ENTER] and the up and down arrow keys. But try [TAB] again please.

[5] INVENTOR and RECEIVE can run on back room computers that may not have POS.EXE on them so there is no link.

[6] If you are using in network mode there is no reason to copy stock table files to a floppy.

[7] Worked for me, please check the PATH.

[8] To keep two copies of the program from writing to the same file at the same time, another file is used as a "gateway" to the file. Those are the files that begin with the underscore.

[9] I will keep working on this. :)
Dale

barry..

Re: 8 points

Post by barry.. » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:41 pm

[4]

It just goes it starts from the trans number then

- backwards with the discount lines
- backwards with the customer details
- backwards from 'change due' to 'total'
- backwards from 'tax' to 'item total'
- backwards from 'ea' to 'stock number'
- backwards from 'time' back to 'trans number'.

it would be easier to they were tabbed from
left to right, top to bottom.

[7] It detects the file Ok, for me saying "NETWORK.RCV" is there stating the date and time the file was created, but when i try and update it is says the file not found error.

Am I doing it right? It works on the registers at work, but not this version I am trying on two computers at home...

What are the steps involved in inventory and receiving?

[9] I hope a solution can be sorted out with this problem, as this is the worst bug that I'm ever reported! :)

barry..

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Stuff

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:34 pm

Barry,

[4] Well the scan in "Receipt language" started out that way but originally I forgot the "check" stuff and the "reduction" stuff. Since they were added in later they they come after the original stuff.

[7] Are you running the program from the global folder or a local folder? Is the file in the global folder? I am assuming that you are running the program in network mode.

[9] This is proving tough to fix. :)
Dale

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Customer info bug

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 am

In version BETA 5.09 the menus in the customer info feature would not work. Here is the fix http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm
Last edited by Dale Harris on Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dale

Re: Stuff

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:17 am

[7]

I am running from the global forder.

The file is on the C:\ directory. My POS net is on C:\posnet

yes, I am running in network mode.

[9] I hope a solution can be found soon,
it just seems like a 'big omission' to leave in. :D

barry.

Sergeant Kumpe
Occasional Poster

Post by Sergeant Kumpe » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:23 pm

the passwords for: Discount/Reduction, Returns/Payouts, and File Maiteance will only accept the master password.
C/SSG Kumpe

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:24 pm

Is there a way for another computer (like one in the kitchen) to see what is ordered in order not to have to use order slips?

Sergeant Kumpe
Occasional Poster

Post by Sergeant Kumpe » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:26 pm

Is there any way that you can make a version where you can enter the costomer information before you start the sale (before you enter the stock number)
C/SSG Kumpe

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

[F1]

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:42 pm

You can do that now. Go to the "Customer info" feature in the POSCONFG.EXE program and press [F1]
Dale

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Passwords

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:57 pm

It is posible that there are hidden characters in your paswords. Try this, if you are having a problem with a pasword enter an eight letter password. This will force out any hidden characters. Now see if your new eight letter password works. If it does then you have forced out the hidden characters and can now change the pasword back to anything you want.

Here is what may be happening. When the ??????.POS file is created it may be written into a part of your disk that is empty. Since there is nothing in the passwords when the file is created it may use what is already on the disk in that location, i.e. nothing. The ASCII code for nothing is of course CHR$(0) and CHR$(0) displays on your screen the same as a space. If you then enter the password of DALE you think that it is DALE + 4 spaces but it is really DALE + 4 CHR$(0) characters. When the program compares the password you enter to the password in the file it will drop any spaces but will not drop the CHR$(0) characters. So if you enter the password DALE to do whatever, it will be compared to DALE + 4 CHR$(0) characters and that will not match.

So try the 8 character password thing and let me know if this solves the problem. If it does I will modify the program to check for CHR$(0) in the passwords.
Dale

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

REVEIVE.EXE / INVENTOR.BAT bug.

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:56 pm

I have been trying to recreate this bug reported by Barry for several days now. No luck. Does anyone else have a problem with the REVEIVE.EXE or INVENTOR.BAT program not being able to write the file or the POS.EXE program reading the file?

This is of course while using POS version BETA 5.10 in either stand-alone or network mode.

If no one else reports this problem then I am going to post this version for general release as POS version 5.0
Dale