Suggestion for the Recvieving Program

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

brucef2112
Forum Regular
Suggestion for the Recvieving Program

Post by brucef2112 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:53 pm

Dale,
I have two items:
In the Receiving program there is the ability to enter items via the Vendor stock# instead of the POS Stock#.
I would like to propose a small modification to the Receiving program to make the UI a bit easier for entering items via the Vendor Stock Number.

To create the recieving file it is easier for me to enter the Vendor's Stock number instead of the POS stock number because it is listed on the packing list. However to do this, the poor bastard creating the recieving file (that would be me) must hit the * key before each vendor # entered.
This is 100's of repetitive key strokes on the * key AND has the potential of wearing the * off the face of the key.

I propose that the * key would be used as a toggle button to switch between the 2 methods of entering data.

In order to not confuse or anger the masses that hate change, the default would be the same as it is now. (use the POS Stock# as data entry. And the instructions remain the same:
===========
Press [*] to
enter vendor
stock number.

[F1]=View table
[ESC]=Cancel
===========

If one wants to enter data via the Vendor Stock#, the user hits the * key.
Now, in stead of this being for a single entry, it would become the method for entering lots of items via the Vendor Stock number (ie a toggle).
And the screen would change the instruction to:
===========
Press [*] to
enter POS
stock number.

[F1]=View table
[ESC]=Cancel
===========

(instructions change to say Hit the * key to enter the POS stock number.)
Also the fact that the curser is blinking in one field or the other prompting for the respective number would be a good clue to the user to know if a Vendor Number or a POS Number is needed.
The user can now enter lots of items using the Vendor stock number.
(still using the same item confirmation that is being used now for Vendor Stock number entry)
And if they want to go back to entering a bunch of items via the POS Number they just hit * key again to toggle back.

The second item:
I often export data out of the Purchase Program to create spreadsheets for placing my orders with vendors.
I would find it easier to use this same spreadsheet to handle the receiving. I would add a column for the number of items received and enter the item counts of what I got from the order I placed.

Similar to the stock import, is it possible to create a rcv file by exporting the data from the spread sheet? ie, export the POS Stock Number and the respective item count from the spread sheet to create the receiving file.

If its to much overhead within the Receiving Program or too much of your time to appease one person at your door with a pitchfork; Can you provide the rcv file data structer/format so I can write my own progam to create the rcv file.

Thanks for your consideration and all your efforts,
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Maybe

Post by Dale Harris » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:25 pm

brucef2112,

First you will have to realize that I truely hate the (*) key. It just sits there on the keyboard staring at you with it's one eye. And it is shifty, some times it is there above the alphabet keys, and then when you look over on the numeric keypad it is there, but when you looks back to the main keyboard it has returned. How does it do that? And you never actually see it move, it is just there. I always wonder what it is thinking, what is it planning, I just don't trust it. So it is a good thing when you tell me that you may rub off the symbol on that sneaky little key, it deserves that, the bastard.

However the change you ask for in your post (several times) is fairly small so why not? Eventually.

The other suggestion is a "no." It is too complicated and too much work for me, but the main reason is "just bacause."

Do you remember sleep? Yeah, me too.
Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:54 am

Dale, Thanks for the consideration.

I think its done with mirrors...

Had my milk and cookie.... I'm going to bed.
Thanks again,
Bruce