Exit Time Stamp

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Tina
Occasional Poster
Exit Time Stamp

Post by Tina » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:35 pm

It would make the system more secure if there was a time stamp added into the journal each time the program is exited. It already does it for the close, but some shop owners may want to see this for security purposes. There is a time on everything else so why not on that too?

Tina

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Option #3

Post by daleadmin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Tina,

The whole point of using option #3 to exit the program is that it does not do anything other than shutting down the program. It does not print anything and it does not create a transaction. If I were to make the program create a transaction when option #3 is used that could be bypassed just by pressing [CTRL] + [ALT] + [DELETE] and then Windows would shut down the program without doing anything else.

Plus I do not know of anything nefarious that an employee could do by using option #3. Could you explain?

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:47 pm

that is also why I have my systems set up so that it requires manager password to open or close the registers. that way managment is aware of every time it happens.
Andrew Stevens
Rooksystems/Clearwater Inc.

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:32 pm

I know of a few programs that actually block the Control Alt Delete Keys from being used but they require microsoft Sever 2003 (I think its 2003) to run as its done on the server side but a small mom and pop store as we call it could in no way afford that type of network backend with out it being a jewelry store but if it was a jewelry store i dont think they would be using DHPOS

peachey13
Forum Regular

Post by peachey13 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:36 pm

ibmsystems wrote:I know of a few programs that actually block the Control Alt Delete Keys from being used but they require microsoft Sever 2003 (I think its 2003) to run as its done on the server side but a small mom and pop store as we call it could in no way afford that type of network backend with out it being a jewelry store but if it was a jewelry store i dont think they would be using DHPOS
Any ms server can do it, you just have to set up a custom GP.

Nick
Forum Regular

I like it

Post by Nick » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:59 pm

I kind of like the idea of making a jornal entery of closeing. But I would really like to see it on things like the file maintence, and reports menus, or at least when you go into an item in either menu. This way even if someone figures out your password you still can see if they got into somting they shouldn't have.

anwoke8204
Forum Regular

Post by anwoke8204 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:34 am

every version of windows from windows 95 up have been able to do this if ya know where to look and how to do it. Granted it is easier to do with a nt kernel based server(windows nt 4.0, 2000 server/advanced server/datacenter server, or 2003 server/advanced server/datacenter server), but if ya know how to do it the 9x kernel can do it as well, granted if ya mess up in the 9x kernel it is kind of hard to reverse with out reinstalling the os(operating system/windows). But using a server to do it is much easier. this I know because I have done it on the 9x kernel, as well on a server based network when I was a student network admin at my high school.
Andrew Stevens
Rooksystems/Clearwater Inc.

Dylan
Forum Regular

yeah...

Post by Dylan » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:43 pm

Yeah it can be done on any version of windows above 3.xx. I have a book called windows 98 registry that tells all of that stuff. Undoubtedly you can find out how in the internet and just write a nice vb script to do it for you so whoever is actually doing this cant screw it up.
Tech