Dos Printing

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Robert_Nel
Forum Regular
Dos Printing

Post by Robert_Nel » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:45 am

Hi ,
Is it possible to use other dosprinting programs with DHPOS, if yes which file would the programs have to default to.
Thanks
Robert Nel
Robert R Nel

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:43 am

DHPOS outputs the file WLSDFKJN.DRY which contains the printjob. APRINT picks this up and prints it, then deletes the file.

However the file also contains some specific characters which most generic printing programs would not recognise, as they're designed to pass information to APRINT about the job - and not for printing.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Print stream

Post by daleadmin » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:20 pm

Andrew,

Actually not. WLSDFKJN.DRY contains only the print stream that would normally go to the printer. There are no codes in it that are used by APRINT2.EXE although there are codes that are used by the printer.

So any process that would dump the WLSDFKJN.DRY file to the printer will print the receipt just fine. For example from the DOS prompt the command TYPE WLSDFKJN.DRY > PRN will print a receipt. However you still have the problem of waiting for the WLSDFKJN.DRY file to be closed by POS.EXE and you still have to delete WLSDFKJN.DRY after the contents have been sent to the printer.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:37 am

Ah ok, I thought there were some codes for APRINT in the file - but obviously not.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Re: Print stream

Post by ChrisKraus » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:57 pm

daleadmin wrote:you still have to delete WLSDFKJN.DRY after the contents have been sent to the printer.
I have noticed that it doesn't. I also notice that POS.EXE also outputs printjobs with the filenames NULL, next printjob would be NULL1, next would be NULL2, etc. After I close POS, I always have to delete WLSDFKJN.DRY, NULL and NULL2.
- Chris
Christopher Kraus