stock list

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

IAN
Forum Regular
stock list

Post by IAN » Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:31 am

i tried to find the real answer in searching bit i can only find mini answers to thus not being able to find and compleate my problem.. here goes.

i got a list of products and prices someone put in to xls, how do i merge it in to the pos software, i dont fancy copy eack 1 manually.

thankies again

*** forum search problem, i tried searching for 'File Format' looking at dale harris and it got everything except dale harris's posts

and one i fount just for you dale heres a few *** i know you hate them
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Import stock table

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:32 am

Ian,

Go to the stock table, press [F5] and then http://keyhut.com/postip6.htm#table
Dale

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:40 am

aye lol you beat me to it ... heres what i go for future searching...
If your current stock data is in an Excel file, or you can get it into one, then you are in luck. If you save it as a comma delimited .CSV file the POS program will be able to import into the stock table. Read this http://keyhut.com/postip6a.htm#export

Also when you unzipped the POS.EXE file and Excel file STOCK TABLE.XLS will have popped out. It is a blank sample Excel file that the POS program can read.

The stock table format is a little more problematical. In the FAQ section of the website there was a long description of the stock table format. But when the person hosting it dropped it, the new FAQ page does not have it. However here is some BASIC code that can be used to access the stock table sort of. Just remember that the first record is an index and does not hold the data for an item. If you need more of an explanation post here. Meanwhile I will try to work on a full description of the .TBL file for the FAQ page.

Type stocktable
descript As String * 24
price As String * 7
category As String * 1
taxtype As String * 1
piecessold As Long '4
valuesold As Long '4
vendorid As String * 1
inventorycount As String * 4
stocknumber As String * 18
cost As Long '4
model As Long '4
pack As Long '4
vendorstock As String * 30
saleprice as Long '4
junk as String * 10
End Type

DIM rec as stocktable
INPUT "Enter full filename", acf$
open acf$ for random shared as #1 len = 120
INPUT "Enter record number to retrieve", xa$
x% = int(xa$)
GET #1, x%, rec
PRINT rec.descript
PRINT int(rec.price) / 100
END
and here
Loading the file
You enter your file into the stock table by first loading it into the clipboard. From the stock table press [F5] (Manipulate / Export lines) (at this point you may make a backup of your current stock table, a WONDERFUL idea!), then [1] (Continue), then [4] (Copy selected lines into the clipboard), then [4] (Erase current clipboard and copy from text file to make new clipboard.) Now enter the disk drive that the file is on and the name of the file and press [ENTER] to load the file. You will now be required to view the contents of the clipboard. THIS IS IMPORTANT! Make sure that all of the data from your text file has loaded correctly into the clipboard. Check every line and both pages. If the data was improperly loaded or corrupted in the clipboard then when you load the clipboard into the stock table it could corrupt the existing stock table making it totally unreadable by the POS software. Do you want to retype you entire stock table over again?

After you have finished checking the contents of the clipboard press [ESC] twice and you may now move the cursor to where you wish to load the clipboard into your stock table and then press [5] (Paste lines here from clipboard.)

It is a REALLY GOOD IDEA to make several dry runs of this feature into a new, empty stock table before attempting this on the stock table you are using.

The most common errors in importing a file is if the file has an extra or missing comma (,) then the data that is supposed to be in one field will show up in a different field or if the value is out of the allowable range the value will be zero, all of the following fields on that line will also be shifted to another field. The other common error is if the "description" field contains a comma (,) and is not contained in quotes (") or the right quote is not immediately followed by a comma, ie. there is a space between the right quote and the following comma.

If you save your data file from your word processing software in a format other than plain text or "DOS text" or from your spreadsheet or database program in a format other than comma delimited, then a lot of formatting data will proceed the actual stock data and the import function of the POS program will not be able to find the actual stock data.
sorry for the size but now if anyone new searches for stocklist here is the answer!

thanks again dale
it took me over 2 hours for find out how then i found you not long told me before i found out but didnt re the reply till i went back to main forum to type this... o well
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Re: stock list

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:28 am

IAN wrote:forum search problem, i tried searching for 'File Format' looking at dale harris and it got everything except dale harris's posts
I just tried a search for "import" and put "Dale Harris" in the author field, and found several useful results. Your query, "file format" is too broad - as many people have posted requests or help with the various file formats used in DHPOS.

"Import" was a much more successful query - so the forum search engine works fine, you need to tell it the right things. Also - the user manual is your friend (REGISTER.TXT or the HTML version Dale linked to).
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)