Void sale in POS

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

lemon535
Forum Regular
Void sale in POS

Post by lemon535 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:29 pm

ok im not sure how this has happened but....

I have on my computer a fresh copy of pos639e and 639f.

I also have my main pos which is currently on 639e.

What i have noticed on my 639e (that i set up months ago) is when im ringing a sale and press F5 to VOID it i have these options....

1. Void one line only

2. Void entire Sale

3. Return to transaction.

Now i remember a few months back i had made a wee complaint that in an earlier version this is what you got...

1. Void one line only

2. Void entire transaction

3. Return to main menu

4. Return to transaction.

My problem with this was was that when u press F5 to void but then change your mind, sometimes I accidently hit ESC to go back, which voided the sale.

I have just created a new pos file using POS639f and i noticed it is back to the old way, which has 4 options and voids the sale if you accidenlty hit ESC. Can someone tell me why i got 3 options? was this changed back??

Check out these links to see what i mean......

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver ... 9_full.jpg
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver ... 1_full.jpg

If it has been changed i think it would be nice to have the 3 option one available as it doesnt void the sale if i accidently press ESC.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Go to after sale

Post by daleadmin » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:40 pm

lemon535,

In the POSCONFG.EXE program if you set "Go to after sale" to "Main menu" then when you do a void during a sale you will get the 3 option menu. If you set "Go to after sale" to "Main menu" then when you do a void during a sale you will get the 4 option menu.

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:29 pm

oooooooooooh that explains heaps, thank you soooo much

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:36 pm

is it possible to add the option of voiding lines, and sales, like when you choose say line 3 to void a small pop-up will appear saying somethin like Are you sure you wish to delete Redcandles Six Pack? then say press Y for yes or N for no. Many pos systems i have used have this feature and it is useful for staff that dont pay much attention. Also what do you think of being able to add a password to removing lines or sales, for security reasons, i have herd of theft occuring by the sales person just voiding the sale (through purchase, not voids) so when the F5 is pressed a password box will appear. Just my thoughts.....

Kaz
Occasional Poster

Post by Kaz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:01 pm

I think requiring a password for voids sounds like a good idea. Not every cashier is trustworthy of being able to do their own voids and sometimes they might just void the sale for a friendly discount. A girl was carried away from my work in handcuffs because she let her boyfriend get away with $300 in mdse after voiding a sale.

lemon535
Forum Regular

yeh

Post by lemon535 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:39 pm

of if Dale doesnt like that idea i still would like to see a confirmation message when voiding a sale or deleting a line.....hm i might set up a poll

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Voids

Post by daleadmin » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:38 pm

Well the easiest way for someone to give away an item is not to ring it up and then void out the line but just to not ring up the item in the first place. A password on an line item void will not stop that.

And anyway people make mistakes and have to be able to correct them without having a supervisor standing on their toes while they are ringing up the sale.

The main thing is that if they void out the item then it will not be on the receipt. Then if you are paranoid enough to have a security person at your exit checking the receipts of the customers leaving the store against what is actually in their carts / bags then it will be obvious that the item was not rung up.

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:16 am

ok ok then (i dnt know anything about writing pos software) Would it take up much space....in adding a confirmation screen thing when deleting anyway. i still like that idea!!! please.......lol

Nick
Forum Regular

Post by Nick » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:35 am

As someone with alot of recent cashier experience I can say that having a password to void a single line would be a HUGE hindrance, especially because when you are voiding a single line it’s because you either double scanned an item or because the customer read a sign wrong and no longer wants the item. In either case waiting 30 seconds to 3 minutes for a supervisor to come would make an already sensitive situation with the customer worse, just because you are taking one item out of a sale. As for voiding an entire sale I can understand that a little more but what’s to stop the cashier from not doing anything and just looking busy for a couple minutes. Not to mention if a customer walks out halfway through the transaction the next customer in line is now waiting for something he or she had nothing to do with. I say if anything what’s needed is for pos to generate a log of voids that can be printed from the reports screen, then if you really want to get picky make the cashier fill out a quick log slip to explain the reason for the void.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:34 pm

Nick,

Surprisingly quite a few stores use some form of supervisor check for voids/cancels. I worked in two supermarkets a few years ago and both used a supervisor key system for voids/cancels.

A double scan was removed by a "cancel last" which was counted and totalled weekly on your till balancing slip, which also detailed your daily balancing, xmas club balancing, scan rate and voids amount.

It was encouraged to keep cancels/voids down, and whilst it certainly is a pain sometimes to wait for a supervisor - I would rather that than have the knowledge any cashier could void/cancel at will. Both these stores being large, the second with 18 checkout lanes - a log would be very time consuming to check every day, they might as well have some kind of password/key system.

So whilst many stores who use DHPOS wouldn't use such a feature - I can bet there are several who would - and that decision should be made by them.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:19 pm

Andrew, what stores have you worked for....out of interest..

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:34 pm

oh and i also think when you are in the VOID (from the menu, not purchase) that when your press F8 to void a sale complely i think the definatly should be a confirm void message!!! :-)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:36 pm

I worked for New World and then Pak'n Save, both NZ stores.

As for confirmation when voiding a sale from the Voids option on the main menu - you can set a password there, to act as confirmation.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:45 pm

i suppose so. Lol i worked for Paknsave then New world!!