Time clock - system clock

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

FormicaFun
Forum Regular
My 2¢

Post by FormicaFun » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:28 pm

Hey Dale! Long time no talk....how are things?

Glad/suprised to see you're working on a timeclock feature. You asked for opinions.... so here's mine. (for what it's worth)

I really do like the idea that while in the timeclock part of the application you see hours:minutes. Military/Digital minutes tend to confuse the average associate. "13:25 is 1:15?" and the like are heard all to often if they happen to see the 'manager' side of the time and attendance application. It did take a bit of getting used to, but much like the fact our weeks start on Wednesday and end on Tuesday.... it's second nature soon enough. ...and you're right, it's ALOT easier to add time up on a calculator with the 'math' already done for you.

Speaking of math beeing done for you.... why not have a running total on the time cards? Yes..... I don't realize how hard it would be for you to make the features.... but it would be nice. Paid breaks? Paid meal? only two questions really.... just so we know to pay a person when they're 'off the clock' or not.

Ok, so how do we know what's a break and what's a meal? Change the headers. Currently it's four groupings of "IN/OUT"..... so give the collums names. In order, the sets could be "SHIFT/BREAK/MEAL/BREAK" That way you wouldn't have to dance the collums around. Or...... Make the collums (all eight) in the order that (most people working a 8+ hour shift) punch in/out. "SHIFT IN/BREAK OUT/BREAK IN/MEAL OUT/MEAL IN/BREAK OUT/BREAK IN/ SHIFT OUT". Working a short shift and only get one break? Move the cursor to "SHIFT OUT" when it's time to go home. Personally I'm fine with either order (that is, assuming you like my idea).

Even if you don't add up the time (which I have a feeling you're not going to, but it would be nice for the associate to see how many hours they have 'in' for the week), It would be nice to 'see' what your people are doing. After all, simply clocking in/out is rather vague. Seeing that they clocked in, when to break, came back from break, etc...... just helps you keep a better eye on what your people are up to. Not saying one should micro-manage, and not let an associate clock back in from break should they be gone 16 minutes...and have to get a manager to over ride the clock. Yes, that is micro management, and a sin if you ask me..... but we are trying to run a buisness here, and knowing what your people are up to when you're not there is always a good idea.

Now with all this said..... I do like your interface..... very DOS. And as always love the POS software.

Thanks a million!
-Ryan :)

PS, I realize I didn't addres the overnight crowd. You've got me on that one. Didn't you fix the timer feature to where it would work if the clock was started before midnight, and ended after midnight? Maybe you could approach the time clock more like the timer feature...... in example.

Go to "9. Associates" (or wherever/however you access the time clock feautre once/if it makes it to the program).

Enter your PIN....and here's where it all happens.

If you're not currently on the clock a window of such will appear:

NOT PUNCHED IN
1. Punch In

You select 1....and the window changes to:

ON CLOCK SINCE XX:XX

2. Punch Out

Notice it changed to option 2? Yeah well...... it's kinda like the pay screens....even if you don't allow checks credit/debit is still option 3.

Or make them F keys or whatever.......so then you'll just end up with jornal-like files for each of the associates:

01 RYAN N

FROM 10/21/06 TO 10/27/06

IN 10/26/06 08:00
OUT 10/26/06 12:00
4.00 <-(hours on that shift)

IN 10/26/06 12:30
OUT 10/26/06 17:30

ETC......

TOTAL HOURS FOR REPORT 9.00

But of course this wouldn't be one day.....the entire week, you'd see the punches, much simpler interface, etc..... True,editing punches might get trickier with this system, but it would solve the problem of overnight workers. ....but does anyone that use this software use 3rd shifts? The only time it even crosses my mind is the Thanksgiving/Christmas season....when that's the only way we can bake what we need to bake with the ovens that we have. Other than that I tend to sleep when it's dark out, and let my people do the same.

Anywho.....food for thought.

Dylan
Forum Regular

Post by Dylan » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:07 pm

ok. i cant get this to work at all.
i know im not doing anything wrong. it asks for the pos
filename without an extension and i give it... without the extension.
It usually gives me an illegal function call. BUT every once
in a while it'll prompt me for a pin, and it wont accept any pin.
I know i'm typing everything right. im using WinXP-H. AND
timeclk2.exe will accept any filename that doesn't really exist....
and worse it MAKES a .pos file out of whatever i type in.

ARGHH!
Tech