Starting up a new shop (using dhpos)

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

lemon535
Forum Regular
Starting up a new shop (using dhpos)

Post by lemon535 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:14 pm

I am setting up a dairy with DHPOS and was after some simple advice.

What is a good way to get everything into the stocktable, whats the fastest , efficient and accurate way? Dont want to start setting it up and screw it up. lol.

Also

What are some ways you guys manage non-barcoded products? This would be for lollies, eg mixtures so they would need to be foud easily and quickly.
Do you just remember the stock number? use the F1 and scroll to find? how many people use the groups feature?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Stock table

Post by daleadmin » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:35 pm

lemon535,

Well that depends. Are you planning on typing it into the stock table or do you have the items in a text or spreadsheet file and you just want to import them into the stock table.

If you are typing the stuff then I think the best way to do it is to just type it directly into the stock table. While doing this you can press the [F5] key which will allow you to do things like moving lines around, inserting blank lines into the middle of the stock table, deleting lines, sorting lines, etc.

You do not say how many lines you would need for the non-barcoded items. Probably it is best to put them at the beginning of the stock table and then just press [F1] to display them.

Reed
Forum Regular

Post by Reed » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:33 pm

For "random price" items that aren't barcoded, I create a stocktable entry for every dpeartment. I set the stock number equal to the department number, and the description equal to the deaprtment name.

So, If I have a non-barcoded item in the grocery department, and grocery is department 2, i ring up 2, enter the price, and voila.

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:42 am

well one way you can use to is by printing many "home brew" number barcodes to put on a poster next to the till point so you can scann the barcode for speed, so for lolly 1 you can use like 10101 lolly 2 use like 10102 etc

there is many barcode website here is one of my fav's
http://www.barcodesinc.com/generator/index.php

what i did was to put many on an A4 page pre-printed with the details of what its to be scanned then i cut out and paper glue the barcodes on to the paper that i printed off that website, i photocopy the original to make a flat page with text and barcodes. i havent yet got a laminator to use but you'll get years of use out of it laminated

i hope this helps.
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:38 pm

You could also download a barcode font (there are a few free ones) and use your word processing app (e.g. MS Word) to setup a table, and type the barcodes into the document using the barcode font.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)