next version

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

cashier
Occasional Poster
next version

Post by cashier » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:26 pm

ok first i love the produuct. question

dale can you make on the next version a gas station part. i really need this feature. or make a seperate software. do you know any good free gas station software.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Gas station part?

Post by daleadmin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:44 pm

cashier,

OK, I'll bite. What is a "Gas station part?"

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:13 am

aye, thats confused me too? i use it and use single pump numbers for ease and tracking how much each pump sold so its easy to see which needs filling

umm other than that you can allways set up the most basic of one for petrol and one for diesel?

apart from that i dont see any problem with using it in a filling station...
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)

cashier
Occasional Poster

Re: Gas station part?

Post by cashier » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:19 am

daleadmin wrote:cashier,

OK, I'll bite. What is a "Gas station part?"

a gas station in the software . if you own a gas station it would be good to have. a part means part of the software.

Dukane
Forum Regular

Solution to gas station problem

Post by Dukane » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:42 pm

Your description doesn't clarify anything. We know what a gas station is, we know what a "part" is, but you can't put a gas station into software. Why don't you tell us what FEATURES you're looking for. I guarantee there is already a solution.

Why don't you try this. Create a stock number for each pump you have and type of fuel it dispenses.

For example:
100 PUMP A HIGH OCTANE
101 PUMP A MED OCTANE
102 PUMP A LOW OCTANE
103 PUMP A DIESEL
200 PUMP B HIGH

etc...

Create a category for the different fuels...high, medium, low grade gasoline, diesel, etc...

When someone comes in and fills up, keep the price per gallon in the stock table. Enter the quantity in gallons read directly from the pump display. The total will be the price per gallon x the number of gallons. I believe Dale's program can handle quantities to thousandths of a piece (or in your case a gallon) which should be just fine for your operation.

No extra features needed.

Nick
Forum Regular

Post by Nick » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:32 pm

I think what cashier is looking for is somthing that would control and pull the pumps. ie. aprove starts, stop them, automaticly take the total off them and reset them when the customer pays. If this is the case, cashier, I wouldnt hold my breath because Dale has enough chananges trying to interface with the different types of POS equipment out in the world, which he does a great job at. But the different gas pump systems are an entirly different can of worms. Maybe someone could make a third party program to run above POS that controls the pumps then sends the nessary keystorks to POS.

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:54 pm

As Nick and Dale mentioned - DHPOS is designed to appeal to, and be useful to - as many businesses as possible, without having industry specific features.

Whilst it's a hard enough time finding equipment (printers, pole displays etc) to test on - where would Dale get a gas station he could borrow?
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

ibmsystems
Forum Regular

Post by ibmsystems » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:18 am

I'm not one to say "No" before i try but i really doubt something like this being put into DHPOS is a realistic idea. Most new Gas Pump systems are designed to be put into a Server that controls the pumps

The server gets the current data from the POS Terminals that are running custom software provided to the station by the Manuf. of the Pumps there for its kind of like a closed circut with no real room for extra's

cashier
Occasional Poster

Post by cashier » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:15 am

ok. here is what i want. so lets say i have a gas station. i want to be able to be able to control pumps. if someone dosnt get their recept i can reprint and other stuff.

also what is in the next version.

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:44 am

well i have put it in to a petrol station and it works perfect you can print and reprint recipts using option number 5 void and finding the transaction then tab to print

ok this tickled me
where would Dale get a gas station he could borrow?
lol give me a little time and i'll try and get a photo of the place i have put it in, (if they allow me to do this)

what i have done is P for petrol and D for diesel etc also J for jetwash

so theres something for everyone
IAN

cashier
Occasional Poster

Post by cashier » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:00 am

problem.i dont know how to put in the prices. xxx9 the program is x.xx

you cant put 9 at the end. 32.59 it would look like

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:50 am

cashier wrote:problem.i dont know how to put in the prices. xxx9 the program is x.xx

Right... it is 5am here but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Are you in a country which doesn't have decimal currency - if so there is an option for that in POSCONFG.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

cashier
Occasional Poster

Post by cashier » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:56 am

Andrew Bunn wrote:
cashier wrote:problem.i dont know how to put in the prices. xxx9 the program is x.xx

Right... it is 5am here but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Are you in a country which doesn't have decimal currency - if so there is an option for that in POSCONFG.
yes i just rememberd you can change the decimal point. never mind i figured it out.

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:34 pm

it will work in any petrol station see pic on post http://www.dhpos.com/discuss/phpBB2/vie ... =7779#7779
IAN

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:38 pm

For those of you who are from outside the U.S...

There is only one product in the United States that is sold at retail with a price calculated to three decimal places, and that is motor fuel, i.e. gasoline and diesel.

While all other products will have a price like 2.01, 65.23, 14.84, etc,. gasoline and diesel will have prices like 2.319, 3.159, 2.879, etc. Notice that the third decimal place is always a 9.

So what is the deal here? Are service stations thinking that consumers are coming in to fill their tanks at 2.849 and saying to themselves, "Thank God that the gasoline here is only 2.849 and that I am not being ripped off by being asked to pay 2.85 for it"? After all if they have a 30 gallon tank to fill up that would be an additional 3¢ on an $85 bill!

So let me ask all those service station owners out there. Is there any legal requirement that fuel prices be calculated to 3 decimal places? If so, why must the third decimal place always be a "9"? Zero is also a perfectly usable 3rd decimal place. Can the pumps only calulate prices that end in .009? If so, since all new pumps are digital, maybe you could could have the software updated. If you insist on pricing to 3 decimal places why to you round the price to 2 decimal places when I pay by credit card. Could you not come up with some sort of aggreement with the cretit card companies to round out to 3 decimal places? Or you could ask the U.S. treasury to finally issue the "mil" (which is worth .001 of a dollar) just to pay for gas.

And finally, DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT ANYONE IS SO STUPID THAT THEY WILL PASS UP YOUR STATION BECAUSE YOU MIGHT CHARGING .001 MORE FOR A GALLON OF FUEL??? Although since I do work in a retail store I must admit that I have run into a lot of "stupid", but this is really pushing it.

So while it would be possible to change the program to accept 3 decimal place prices that would mean that ALL prices would be 3 decimal places. Gas would be 2.859, milk would be 3.150, a candy bar would be .750, etc. There would be a lot of zeros to type in and your customers would be wondering what is going on. Remember what I said about there being a lot of "stupid" running around out there.