A few questions for clarification

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Frogger
A few questions for clarification

Post by Frogger » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:29 pm

Thank you Dale for creating such a wonderful product. It is really a lot better then our acient ShopKeeper software that I think was purchased in the nineties!

I am writing up some documentation for my staff (high school book store) about how to use POS and I wanted to clarify a few things.

1. Our receipt printer is working well. But we want our reports printed to a 'normal' printer. Can we configure a second printer through the program? Or do we have to save the report as a text file and print it out from Notepad?

2. When closing sales for the day, the very last question we're asked has something to do with resetting inventory (sorry, I'm at home so I don't have the program in front of me). What's that about.

3. We have decided that we have three inventory taking scenarios.
1. Converting our existing inventory records from ShopKeeper to POS. We've taken care of this successfuly.
2. Updating the inventory each semester. No problem here as we can use the inventory.exe program.
3. Adding to the inventory in mid semester (a science teacher ordering a new workbook in the middle of the semester for example). Is the best way to deal with this type of inventory change to save the existing inventory to a text or csv file. Then to add a new line in that file with the new information. Then copy and paste into the stock table?

Thanks for any and all help.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Answers

Post by daleadmin » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:10 am

Q1) Our receipt printer is working well. But we want our reports printed to a 'normal' printer. Can we configure a second printer through the program? Or do we have to save the report as a text file and print it out from Notepad?
A1) The program will only support one printer at a time so you will have to save the report as a text file. However if you want to print the report using page printer settings you will have to reset the "printer setup" in the POSCONFG.EXE program before you create the report.

Q2) When closing sales for the day, the very last question we're asked has something to do with "Reset the merchandise data." What's that about.
A2) Merchandise data is the "Pieces sold" and "Value sold" columns in the stock table. Some folks like daily merchandise sales totals, others like it weekly or monthly. When it is reset the "Pieces sold" and "Value sold" columns in the stock table are reset to all zeros so that you can start collecting merchandise sales data for the next time period you use.

Q3) Converting our existing inventory records from ShopKeeper to POS. We've taken care of this successfuly.
A3) Cool!

Q4) Updating the inventory each semester. No problem here as we can use the INVENTOR.BAT program.
A4) Cool again.

Q5) Adding to the inventory in mid semester (a science teacher ordering a new workbook in the middle of the semester for example). Is the best way to deal with this type of inventory change to save the existing inventory to a text or csv file. Then to add a new line in that file with the new information. Then copy and paste into the stock table?
A5) The best way to handle merchandise received during semester is to use the RECEIVE.EXE program which will ADD received merchadise to the current inventory in stock table. Of course if it is NEW merchandise that is not listed in the stock table you will have to added to the stock table before you use the RECEIVE.EXE program. The best way to add a new item to the stock table is to just use the "Stock table" feature of the program.

Frogger

Post by Frogger » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:07 am

Thanks. You have answered all my questions. I now have one more. I'm not sure if this is a program bug or not. At first, when I started closing the register for the day, the program would freeze at the last screen where you can choose to print reports and I would have to close it by closing the window. Creating a default report (with the keystroke memorizing function) cleared this problem.

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:32 am

aye, that woule be a good addition in simple language to the help file for the reset data, as it goes in simple:

merchandise data is the sales report of each catagory you organise your stock in,

if you reset it everyday for simple banking you can see which totals you need to add or subtract from the totals, or if you do the banking weekly you can reset it then ready for the next week.
you can do option from main menu 8 D 1, this gives you what has sold by item and quanty but remember the maximum ammount of lines to be printed!

you can do option from main menu 8 D 2, which will be a break down of your sales into the catagorys only.

i know this function as an X-report (UK)
i have had the better success at 8 D 2

unless your looking at an individual for product tracking (eg suspiccion of theft or has it sold?) then it be good to track by employee.

dont forget you can automate this when you close, you basically go 7,2 etc then you press tab when asked.

i hope this helps many people who struggle with this (i know i did to start with)
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)