Pole Display - Solution!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

patrick
Forum Regular
Pole Display - Solution!

Post by patrick » Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:01 am

I got a soultion on the pole display problem.

Lets all send money to Dale, so he can buy a pole display (or two).
Emax and Logic is the most popular pole display manufacturer.

What do you think? 5, 10 US$ each..

/Patrick Andersson :D

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:36 am

Nothing stops anyone from donating funds or even equipment to Dale.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

PayPal

Post by ChrisKraus » Sat Feb 28, 2004 10:50 am

I guess Dale could just set-up a PayPal link on the website to make it easy to donate money, espically for the people in other countries who don't use US $.

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

peachey12

Post by peachey12 » Sat Feb 28, 2004 8:51 pm

don't use pay pal
have a look at this site

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

8) peachey 12 8)
aka. peachey111213

i dont know about that

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:39 pm

peachey12 wrote:don't use pay pal
have a look at this site

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

8) peachey 12 8)
aka. peachey111213
I have used paypal both ways for years and for hundreads of dollars at a time. As long as you pull your money out of your account fast enough and follow the TOS there are no problems.
P.S. the first ebay item i used an alternitive because the seller didnt want paypal was a dead beat and i see the website mentioned above as a con artist tool.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:54 pm

I requested this before, but got no response:

Dale, if it would be possible for you to dump the data for the display to a file, I could possibly write something to get it out to the display.

BTW, latest beta of POSnet works fine - no problems so far.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Dumping pole display text

Post by Dale Harris » Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:30 am

Guest,

New features are frozen until POSnet is released. If I keep adding new features (which cause new bugs) this thing will never get debugged and therefore never released.

If I do dump pole display text to a disk file do you have a program that will send it to the pole display?
Dale

CBL

Post by CBL » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:49 pm

Hello!

It would be easy to write a program to use a secondary monitor as a customer display (ie. in a computer with two video cards). I could write the program to do that, and it would be more flexible than a traditional pole display too.

Cheers!

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:14 am

You don't even need a program, if you use a video splitter cable you can show the same screen on both monitors.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

CBL

Post by CBL » Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:46 pm

True, but you might not want your customers to see everything (eg. the main menu, customer info if searching database...)

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:26 pm

My computer has two video cards :) Thats a good idea to use a second monitor as a display

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:32 am

Dual monitor support would be nice, but I think the best way is definatly to have POS write to an external file. This way, anyone who wants to can make a specific display work if they know what they are doing. Most of them come with some pretty detailed instructions, so a little base program that they can type codes into might just do the trick. Or, for more elaborate setups, some can make their own program.

Jonathan Simpson

CBL

Post by CBL » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:19 pm

Agreed. Once the functionality is added to write to the external file, you can do virtually anything you want with the data - be it to a pole display or to a second monitor.

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Wish granted

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:01 am

Here is a BETA test for version 5.01 http://keyhut.com/pos51c.zip

MAKE BACKUPS FIRST.

You MUST close your register with reporting and resetting before you run this version.

1. In this version you will be asked after choosing "credit" as your payment option to then choose between "credit" or "debit". On the close screen the "credit" figure will still include both credit and debit but in "reports" and the close receipt, credit and debit will be listed separately.
2. THIS VERSION WILL RUN ON ONLY THE TOP PART OF THE SCREEN!!!

The reason for this is that the bottom of the screen is being used as a simulated pole display. This version will send data that is supposed to be sent to a pole display to a disk file POLE.DAT. It will also display the same data on the "pole display" on the bottom portion of the screen. The pole display data is formatted in two 20 character lines. Now we need someone who can write a Windows program like APRINT that will run in the background and send the POLE.DAT data to the actual pole display.

Of course the release version will run full screen and not have the "virtual pole display."
Last edited by Dale Harris on Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale

Barry Hart

P.D>

Post by Barry Hart » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:38 am

I think the P.D idea is a great one!

But I have a few problems that I am confused on, and I have come up with a few suggestions for the Pole Display.

Firstly, the total price should be always bottom right corner.

If the item is scanned or equal to one, the item and only the price show up:

Code: Select all

POTTING MIX 25 LITRE
If there is more than one, it should show like this:

POTTING MIX 25 LITRE
2 @ 5.00ea      5.00
Voids should approraitely use the negative for taking item off,

POTTING MIX 25 LITRE
When payment is ready is could be:

TOTAL         125.95
ITEMS 20
When change is given:

CHANGE        125.95

This is one way that the PD can be layed out.

This reasons allow maximum use of the screen, without taking things out that are needed.

The maximum total that can be displayed would be 999,999,999.99 with commas (i think the latter is the max amount that POS supports anyway and the maximum change would be 99,999,999.99.

I think displaying the total items as well (excluding discounts etc) would be suitable to allow customers to know how many items that are purchasing too.
\
Any other improvements/comments/suggestions?