Pole Display - Solution!

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Dale Harris
Forum Owner
New format

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:23 am

Jon has requested a 3rd line for the pole display.

The first 14 characters are the stock number, the next two are unused. The next two are the data type, 1 = sale, 2 = return / payout, 0 = other. The last two are the MKI$(x) of a number that changes sequentually every time the pole data is updated. When the number reaches 32,000 it is reset to zero.

The POLE.DAT file is now opened as a random, shared, read/write file with a record length of 20. http://keyhut.com/pos51c.zip
Dale

Jonathan

Post by Jonathan » Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:30 pm

I have not had a chance to play with the new version (5.01c) yet, but hopefully tomorrow I will...
Anyway, I am working on a basic program for windows that will send pole.dat info to a serial pole display. If I can get any more info on parrallel displays, I'll look into that as well. The obvious problem here is that I do not have a pole display, so I also need someone who can test it... preferably someone who is available in the late evenings (9pm-11pm EST) :)

Any volunteers?

Jonathan Simpson

Chas

Sure Jon!!

Post by Chas » Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:33 pm

Hey JS, I Have a Logic controls PD3000 Serial Display...
I'm willing to test it with you.

Chas

gabriel
Forum Regular

Post by gabriel » Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:01 am

Is this Pole Display Solution available in DOS program? I'm currently using a pure DOS environment without any Windows...

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Sun Mar 21, 2004 2:47 am

Please remember that Dale is only dumping the information (as requested) to a file, it is the responsibility of the user to find an appropriate program such as JS's program and output it to the pole display.

We need to run before we can walk - we have barely gotten the information onto a pole display and already there are requests for scrolling and this and that and the other.

This is why software developers cringe when they add a feature someone wants, because they know there will be a deluge of additions/complaints/demands.

Give it time peeps, I don't think this has even been out for a week yet. ;)
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

Jonathan Simpson
Site Administrator

Post by Jonathan Simpson » Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:20 pm

The pole display stuff is not really OS dependant... it would work on DOS if someone makes a program which will allow it to do so. A TSR would be ideal for this. Once I get the kinks worked out of the windows version, I should be able to make a very similar DOS version. Keep in mind, the programs I am making for this are very basic... they are not suitable for full "customer displays", although I might (probably will) work on that as well once time permits.

Jonathan Simpson