Pertelian device as pole display

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Pertelian update.

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:18 pm

I have been able to use the installation software provided by ForeSight to install the X2040 display on both my Windows XP and '98 computers. It works fine on both computers with the exception that it takes 17 seconds everytime the screen needs to be updated on my Windows '98 computer with a 333mhz Celeron processor and 64 meg of memory.

On my XP machine the update snaps up.

For those of you that have actual pole displays could you tell me how long it takes to update the screen.

Dale

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:13 pm

Do you mean like as soon as a product is rung up....how long does it take for the pole display to show the product & price?

If so.....for me (using Dell 400Mhz, 128Mb Ram) it is virtually instant. Manybe .25 of a second. Its the same when you press [+] the

, comes up intstantly.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

time

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:00 pm

From the time you press [ENTER] until the new item and sale total is displayed on the X2040 it takes 17 seconds on my Win '98 machine.

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:34 am

Thats quite some time. Hope its not like that with Win2k.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Slow

Post by daleadmin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:03 pm

I received a reply from Alex and it looks like the speed problem on Window's '98 and ME is not going to be solveable at the present time. So for now (in about a week) we are going to say that the Pertelian X2040 will only be useable on computers running Windows 2000 and XP, and of course Vista (although we have not tested that out.)

daleadmin
Forum Owner

For sale

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:56 pm

The software for the Pertelian X2040 is now ready and can be downladed and installed and the X2040 can be purchased from ForeSight systems. Go here http://www.thepertelianstore.com/servlet/StoreFront

They also have a forum for using the X2040 with DHPOS here http://pertelian.com/forums/viewforum.p ... 2752d2fa02

jake69
Forum Regular

Post by jake69 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:30 pm

very interesting

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:23 pm

Important notice

ForeSight Systems has rewritten the software and has gotten the screen refresh rate down to under 2 seconds for Windows '98 and ME computers.

Therefore the Pertelian X2040 is now compatable with Windows '98 and Windows ME computers.

Go buy some! :) http://keyhut.com/pertelia.htm

Dale

lemon535
Forum Regular

Post by lemon535 » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:53 am

how about windows 2000?? If anybody can confirm that it does i will most likely buy some. Thanks

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:26 am

Lemon,

The X2040 originally worked with 2000 and XP (and probably with Vista, but we still need to test that.) It still does, but now with '98 and ME added.

Dale

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:14 pm

I was a bit skeptical about the X2040 as a pole display. Given the small size and poor photos shown on the web site. But after getting one I'm very impressed with the X2040 as an alternative as a pole display. The photos on the web site don't do justice for this display.

It does come with a small stand but the stand is obviously designed for sitting on your desk next to your computer (scrolling weather info etc) than for sitting on top of the sales counter as a Pole Display. The stand just isn't practical for POS use. The display also comes with Velco. The idea is to mount it to "something" near you checkout where customers can have an easy look see.

Because of my sales counter design (and other impulse items on the counter), I needed something different.

I got a flexi mic stand (like those found on a podium) and made a small mounting base that could be screwed onto the end of the flexi thingy and used epoxy to mount the base to the back of the X2040 display.

I used black Split Loom to cover the chrome flex pole and to secure the display's USB cable. It works perfect for getting the display in front of the customer. And yes it is easy to read even from 3 ft away. Younger eyes may do better.

Pertelian X2040...Great product!
This is a great enhancement to DHPOS.

Thanks for your efforts Dale and ForeSight Systems LLC.

Bruce

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:46 am

I'm sure by now Alex is wallowing around in huge piles of cash from the tens of DHPOS users who ordered the Pertelian X2040 to use as a pole display. So I figure I'd share my experience with these tens of people who have purchased this display and must have similar concerns as I.

The only item I found that needed attention is the fact that the pertpole.exe display driver runs in a DOS window. Even if minimized it still sits there on the taskbar begging to be fiddled with. Why?... Just because its there.

Wouldn't it be nice if the pertpole.exe display driver sat in the system tray instead? Of course it would! Alex is still very busy counting cash from pole display sales. So until he's done and gets a moment to add this feature to pertpole.exe, here's a solution I found to solve this problem.

Hide-it! is a small freeware Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 (I have 2000 and it runs fine) applett that allows you to hide applications from the desktop *and* the Alt-Tab chain.

It really is small, simple, and it really is FREE. [Now everyone's excited]. It works great for hiding the pertpole.exe dos window. I'll give it a coolness factor of 6.5 and I'll bump up the coolness factor a notch for also keeping itself and the hidden app out of the Alt-Tab chain of running applications.

If you have a Pert. Pole Display and want to try it, here is where you can get this little gem.
http://www.expocenter.com/hideit/

The other 99.999% of DHPOS users will want to check it out just because its FREE.

Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

oeb
Forum Regular

Re: Pertelian device as pole display

Post by oeb » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:22 am

The Pertelian pole is pretty unstable here, it seems to be very sensitive to electric disturbance. When the refrigerator turns on or off the display turns blank and to get it working again I have to unplug/ plug in the USB cable and restart the pertpole.exe program. Anyone else experienced this and have any solutions? It doesn't help to move the display further away from the refrigerator.

Also, where is the download location for the pertpole.exe program and drivers? I can't seem to find it anywhere online.

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:30 pm

Hi OEB,

I got it from there wenb site at this link http://pertelian.com/downloads/SetupPertelianPole.exe

or you can go here and go to the bottom of the page and download it yourself.

http://www.pertelian.com/joomla/index.p ... &Itemid=54 ( The link above this is the same link on this page
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

oeb
Forum Regular

Post by oeb » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:25 am

Thanks. That was the page I wasn't able to find.