General Merchandise: ?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Bazza
General Merchandise: ?

Post by Bazza » Sun Feb 29, 2004 7:01 am

Hi peoples,

I was in target. Looking throught the 50 cent section.
(you don't know what you pick up!) :)

Anyway, I picked up a several sets of cups and plates
to make a complete dinner set (all for $10.50)

Well, the reason why I bring this up, is when the
items were at the checkout, they had no SKU and
were NOF. So, the manager came out to the cashier
and gave her a list of "general mechandise" for
each category in the shop.

So,
"Dinnerware" would be 458732.
"Cookware" would be 384119.
"Stationary" would be 218743.

So, as 'idea creator' for POS, (and who can remember the list of 67 points I made previously at the old network54) board, that we add this to the things that can be implemented on the system.

As you said Dale, each item needs a SKU so i though of an
easy and logical way of implementing a general merchandise section.

If say you have "dinnerware" as a category is DHPOS. and it is category #1, then the SKU for general merchandise dinnerware would be "-000001"
If "cookware" was #219 then it would be "-000219".

The way this will work, would be if an item that is scanned is not found is DHPOS, that it would give you the option to scan again, or put in
under the approrate general merchandise (if a price tag was on it, or the price is agreed upon between the shop and the customer if not).

It will provide a list of all the categories, to make the selection, you highlight it and press enter. You then enter quantity and price as per the normal.

So what do you think?

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Catergory Stock Numbers

Post by ChrisKraus » Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:26 am

This is a great idea, You could also do the same thing for vendors. You could do Stock Number C001 for Catogory #001 and V001 for Vendor #001. This idea could really work.

- Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

General merchandise

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:51 pm

Barry,

How is that bug hunting coming? I am holding up release until I hear from you so if you have looked and cannot find any please let me know. I will release it under the "Barry inspected, Barry approved" label. :)

I have always encouraged everyone to have a general merchandise stock number for stuff that you can't find the number for. Your idea on having a number for each catagory is an improvement on this idea. The easiest way to do this is to just pre-list each "merchandise stock number" into the stock table for each category. This is actually required since in order to be recorded for future uses it will require an actual physical location in the stock table.

Of course you cannot have a stock number like C001 because regular stock numbers are digits only but you can use letters in vendor stock numbers.
Dale

BarryH

"Barry inspected, Barry approved" label.

Post by BarryH » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:03 pm

Hi dale,

sorry, i haven't be around lately, been a bit too busy.

i will have download it tonight and have a look tonight.

I will give a report maybe sometime near Wednesday.

Barry.