possible bug in 4.28

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

Nick
Forum Regular
possible bug in 4.28

Post by Nick » Tue Mar 02, 2004 4:25 pm

When I have a master password and a no-sale password set in the passwords and name section of pos config only the master password works to no-sale the drawer. Bug?

-Nick

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

No bug

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:24 pm

I tried it out here and it worked fine.
Dale

Robman

Bug 4.28

Post by Robman » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:24 am

The same happens to me . Have a master password, the secondary password does not work

Bobby
Forum Regular

It happened here.

Post by Bobby » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:52 pm

Yes, if I have a master password and it is set to 1 and a no sale password and it is set to one, the no sale password is invalid and only the master password works. I am using version 4.28 and 5.09B. I tested this in both versions.

peewee3ie
Forum Regular

Post by peewee3ie » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:49 pm

I have tryed it and it happens to me in version 5.10 beta.

dale please could you try it again and let us know if it happens to you
Tony McGuire
Ireland Support

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

.POS file

Post by Dale Harris » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:53 pm

peewee3ie,

Please send to me as an attachment to an email your ?????.POS data file.
Dale

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

The problem is nothing

Post by Dale Harris » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:58 pm

It is posible that there are hidden characters in your passwords. Try this, if you are having a problem with a pasword enter an eight letter password. This will force out any hidden characters. Now see if your new eight letter password works. If it does then you have forced out the hidden characters and can now change the pasword back to anything you want.

Here is what may be happening. When the ??????.POS file is created it may be written into a part of your disk that is empty. Since there is nothing in the passwords when the file is created it may use what is already on the disk in that location, i.e. nothing. The ASCII code for nothing is of course CHR$(0) and CHR$(0) displays on your screen the same as a space. If you then enter the password of DALE you think that it is DALE + 4 spaces but it is really DALE + 4 CHR$(0) characters. When the program compares the password you enter to the password in the file it will drop any spaces but will not drop the CHR$(0) characters. So if you enter the password DALE to do whatever, it will be compared to DALE + 4 CHR$(0) characters and that will not match.

So try the 8 character password thing and let me know if this solves the problem. If it does I will modify the program to check for CHR$(0) in the passwords.
Dale

Bobby
Forum Regular

That's it

Post by Bobby » Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:38 am

Dale,

That worked fine here. I tried an eight digit password in 4.28. Worked find then I switched it to a four digit password and it worked fine. In 5.09B, I added four spaces after my four digit password and it worked fine. I think you have squashed this one.

Thanks!

Dale Harris
Forum Owner

Nulls

Post by Dale Harris » Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:57 pm

I have modified version 5.0 (if it ever gets released) to check passwords for CHR$(0) an replace it with spaces. So this problem should never happen again.
Dale