Easiest way to do this would be?

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular
Easiest way to do this would be?

Post by ProDeZigner » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:41 pm

Alright, my cousin and I are opening up a hobby / game shop in a small town where I grew up. I work for a large online retailer right now (troll and toad) and we do purchase orders for customers. The process is as follows:

1.) The cards are sent to us with a packing list of every card they sent.
2.) The cards are sorted by set, name, 1st edition or unlimited, normal or parallel, or promo cards.
3.) After sorting the cards are put into a P.O. (purchase order) through a program called MOM (Mail-Order Manager). It uses customer info stored in the database or we make up a customer and put them in the system before entry of the product.
4.) The cards are entered, prices set for what we bought it for, and so on.

Now, if I use DHPOS to do this, what would be the easiest way to do it, since the vendors list is limited?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

What?

Post by daleadmin » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:20 pm

ProDeZigner,

You provide just enough details to have me totally confused.

1. What kind of cards?

2. The "vendors" are the people who are selling the cards to you. You are purchasing these cards from more than 255 different companies?

3. "The cards are sorted by set, name, 1st edition or unlimited, normal or parallel, or promo cards." Sounds like each one of these needs a different stock number.

4. You assign a purchase order for your customers for the cards as they arrive. These cards are already sold when they arrive in your shop?

5. I am totally confused.

Dale

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:47 am

Hurray I stumped Dale, LOL.

Alright, here's a little more detail of the process and the company.

The company I work for is called Troll and Toad (http://www.trollandtoad.com). They're a large game / toy online retailer. In the rough, they open cases of product, sell the product, buy product at large conventions (GenCon, ComicCon, etc.) and tournaments for games from individuals.

I sort product, and issue purchase orders for the products to have checks mailed to the individual selling items to us.

The items DO indeed need different stock numbers, I'll use the card game "Yu-Gi-Oh!" as an example.

This game has two editions, 1st and Unlimited. Each have two different prices because 1st Edition is harder to obtain. Then they're sorted, all based on four conditions. These conditions are NM (1st Edition Near-Mint), UM (Unlimited Edition Near-Mint), PL (1st Edition Played), UL (Unlimited Edition Played). In the newer sets, they have special cards called 'Ultimate Rares', which also get there own catagory and divided between the two editions, and the four conditions.

Now, the customers ARE vendors in the system, but since we're limited with 255 vendors with the DHPOS, it's limited in the retail store my cousin and I want to open (kind of like Troll and Toad, but cheaper, cause I get discounts).

The vendors I'm going to use are Troll and Toad for sure, and any other online wholesalers I can find.

But, the cards on the Troll and Toad site aren't put on there until *I* create a purchase order for these cards, and the checks are awarded to the customer.

Clear as mud?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Confused

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:03 am

Let me see if I have this correct. Your customers are also your vendors. You purchase the cards from the same people you sell them to. So this is a trading deal, not retail?

First of all POS does not keep track of your payments to your vendors. It does not care if you owe your vendors money, or if you have paid it. The only reason the POS program keeps track of the vendors is so the PURCHASE.EXE program can make up purchase orders for each vendor when your stock runs low. But this assumes that you have a mostly fixed merchandise assortment and that you always order the same merchandise from the same vendor. but if you are getting the Yu-Gi-Oh! card from one vendor now and 3 weeks from now you will be getting the same card from someone else then the POS program will have no way of tracking that.

Dale

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:52 pm

So my best bet is just to put the items acquired into the stock table as a piece(s) of inventory?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

I think so

Post by daleadmin » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:11 pm

ProDeZigner,

Unless I am not correctly grasping the concept of what you are trying to do (and not "getting it" is entirely within my capabilities) then putting the cards into the stock table as inventory would seem to be the thing to do.

Dale
Last edited by daleadmin on Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:20 pm

Just call me Brandon, referring me to my screen name all the time makes me feel mysterious for some reason.

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:01 am

I think I just found how I'm going to do it...

The payout feature. I forgot all about it.

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

Post by ChrisKraus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:54 pm

Okay, So this is a Buy-Sell-Trade type of store.
- Chris
Christopher Kraus

ProDeZigner
Forum Regular

Post by ProDeZigner » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:07 am

Yeah, but that's not all, we actually buy from vendors too. And thinking about adding a video store for added 'security'.