1 product 3 prices

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ongamiel
Occasional Poster
1 product 3 prices

Post by ongamiel » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:49 am

Hi good day, i have a question...

if a customer buys 1pc of my product i sell it at 16.50.

if they buy 5pcs and above i sell it at 15.50

if they buy 1 box i sell at 15.00

that means in 1 product i have 3 prices

how can this be done with your software without too much keystroke.

for example in peachtree i just press arrow down key to change from price1 to price2, price3, price4, etc.

I know your software is free and very minimal support. i already read the manual and couldn't find a solution that does not require too much keystrokes. i know u can change price with the f9 key.. maybe you can tell me if there is another way. Thanks.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Multiple prices

Post by daleadmin » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:05 am

ongamiel,

Actually we have huge buckets of support but we do not always have solutions. The program does not allow multiple prices for the same item. The only way to do that is manually change the price by typing it in or to have different stock numbers for the same item but different prices.

Sorry,
Dale

RollerBall
Forum Regular

Post by RollerBall » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:42 am

What's wrong with just doing a per unit or % price reduction :?

That's what it's there for. Couldn't be easier and it's a major DHPOS 'selling point'

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:30 am

here in uk were big on price drop on multibuy ... id like a feature for that too
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:01 am

Ian,

If you mean "buy 2 of product Z and get X.XX off" it ain't gonna happen - or at least I wouldn't hold my breath. There have been requests for "customisable deals" or whatever you wish to call them many times before and the truth is it would take ages and a lot of code space to program the various types of discounts - only to have someone pipe up and complain because their automatic discount type isn't included.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

IAN
Forum Regular

Post by IAN » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:14 am

i know i seen the posts.. thats why i havent asked before

it was a passing comment.
IAN

(Everything i say is a lie! so am i telling you the truth?)

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:52 pm

RollerBall,
Allowing all cashiers to give discounts as they please is looking for problems.
Requiring a Manager present for all discounts is time consuming and I'm sure most managers have better things to do.
Some systems have a way that the discount on any item can be limited to a specified maximum, but even that system has it's own complications and problems.

Can we please for a moment forget about different prices for different quantities sold.
The reality is that certain products are sold loose(1's), in six-packs, dozens and 24's.
The products are packed in these packagings by the manufacturer and each packaging has it's own barcode.
To create different stock table items for each packaging would mean a lot of manual work to tally the stock.

Some, not-so-very-free POS systems have a system of having a main stock table item(1's) with linked stock table items for the other packagings.

Goods are received in the main stock item and track of sales(and stock levels) are kept in that item only.
The linked stock items does not have an inventory column but quantities sold are automatically calculated back to that of the main item where stock levels are calculated.

DHPOS does not have such a feature.

I would imagine that if you cannot live without such a feature you would have to go out and get a not-so-very-free POS system.

Regards

ToPS

ongamiel
Occasional Poster

Re: 1 product 3 prices

Post by ongamiel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:05 am

now there is a feature added to dhpos called "alternate prices"
using this feature you can now have 2 price for an item
thank you very much dale
maybe there is a way we can have 3 or more prices for an item in the future.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 am

It is going to stay at 2 prices.

Dale

andy1m
Forum Regular

Post by andy1m » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:04 am

Looking for better ways of doing discount... :cry:

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:42 am

There are already 3 ways to do a discount. What other way do you want?

Dale

andy1m
Forum Regular

Post by andy1m » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:01 pm

There are enough ways of discount. Just too many key-presses. We use both the wholesale discount (F3) and the reduction (F9). Let's say one item with 10% member discount and 20% sale discount.

Enter stock num -> qty Enter -> F9 -> Reduce 1 line Enter -> Down -> Reduce by % (Reduce by amount (the amount is wrong)) Enter -> 20 -> Enter -> F3 -> + -> select Cash -> Enter -> cash tendered -> Enter

Can we make it:
Enter stock num -> qty Enter -> 20% disc -> sub total -> 10% disc -> amount tendered-> Enter

brucef2112
Forum Regular

Post by brucef2112 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:53 pm

Lets stop keying around and count the strokes!....
Enter stock num -> qty Enter -> F9 -> Reduce 1 line Enter -> Down
    (1 - 14)            (15)  (16)    (17)             (18)                 (19)
-> Reduce by % (Reduce by amount (the amount is wrong)) Enter -> 20 ->
    (20-21)                                                                         (22)    (23-24)
Enter -> F3 -> + -> select Cash -> Enter -> cash tendered -> Enter
  (25)    (26)  (27)    (default)       (28)           (29-32)          (33)

Andy1m says; Can we make it:
Enter stock num -> qty Enter -> 20% disc -> sub total -> 10% disc -> amount tendered-> Enter
  (1-14)               (15)  (16)    (17 magic key)  (18 magic)  (19-20)(21-22 magic)(23-26)      (27)

A DHPOS SALE IS 33 KEY STROKES
YOURPOS SALE IS 27 KEY STROKES.
SIX KEY STROKES DIFFERENCE!
And your POS is magically expected to know when discounts are about to be entered instead
of another line item. And your POS magically knows when discounts are finished and to subtotal sale as apose to adding another line item.

The best you can do to minimize your data entry is with a barcode scanner and a programable keyboard.

A typical sale for me would be:

Enter Stock number > ReductionBy% > Enter % off > F3 > Select 1 of 3 payment keys >
  (1 trigger pull)      (1 programed key)      (2-3)      (4)         (5 programed key)
cash tendered > Enter.
  (6-9)                (10)  OK,... I'll count the trigger pull as a key stoke.

DHPOS with Barcode scanner and programmable keyboard: 11 key strokes!!!
That puts me at 22 strokes under par! And it didn't require Dale to do anything.

And as an added BONUS with the programable KB I've also got;
VOID SALE to one key stroke instead of THREE.
Re-print Last Receipt to one key stroke instead of THREE
No SALE to one key instead of TWO.
Temporary Close POS to one key instead of FOUR.
Item Lookup by Description to one key instead of FOUR.
And my Cherry KB has the CC swipe thingy on it so on the customer info screen I can swipe the card and get the customer's name entered with 1 swipe and 2 keystrokes.

:idea: Check into a Symbol barcode scanner, and a Cherry Programmable keyboard. Both are relatively cheap
on ebay or similar if purchased 2nd hand. With proper configuration and planning they work great
with DHPOS. For more, check out http://keyhut.com/keyboard.htm

AAAUGGGGG!!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST WASTED ALL THESE KEYSTROKES!!!!!! I think I'm over par..... :evil: :evil:
Later,
Bruce
Later,
Bruce

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin - Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Andy1m,

What Bruce said.

There are extra key presses because there are different options. This line or all lines, percentage discount or amount discount, or a coupon, different discounts.

I think you want what you want and the options you do not want should just go away. This of course would cut down on the options and reduce the keys you have to press to get what you want.

However there is a slight problem. Other folks use those options even if you do not. If I remove the options and the keystrokes needed to make them, then you will have less keys to press but other users will be screwed.

I think in this instance we will leave the majority of users unscrewed.

Dale

I am assuming that you are using the new "alternate price" feature.

andy1m
Forum Regular

Post by andy1m » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:35 pm

Thks for the reply!!

The keystrokes I suggested was from my old cash register but it's keypad is broken now. There was not magic keys on that cash register, it just worked that way. We enter one transaction and 10% (3 keypresses) the last line got discounted. And if we press sub-total 10% everything above got discounted.

And for Dale. Thk U also.
Please don't remove the options as other with will surely need them. But is there a way to configure them. Let's say move the always use option to first line. Or can we just hide them away? Just like the payment option.

And for the payment option. We receive only cash payment. So can we hide the 1. CASH option. If we receive other form of payments sure there must be option to choose from. That will save 1 keypress :D