Hiding Sales Summary

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

JohnHeart
Forum Regular
Hiding Sales Summary

Post by JohnHeart » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:26 am

How can I hide the sales summary in a window after selecting 7. Close Register? Thanks.
JohnHeart

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Hiding

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:39 am

JohnHeart,

You can't, but why would you want to? Maybe something else would work.

Dale

JohnHeart
Forum Regular

Post by JohnHeart » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:10 pm

I want to hide it. To avoid employees from cheating.
JohnHeart

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Password

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:51 pm

JohnHeart,

You can put a password on the close so they cannot go to the close screen.

Dale

JohnHeart
Forum Regular

Post by JohnHeart » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:59 pm

I want them to close it but I don't want them to see the sales summary.
JohnHeart

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Balancing

Post by daleadmin » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:06 pm

JohnHeart,

If they close the register then they will see the closing screen. How else would they be able to balance out the cash drawer? I guess they could not close out the register and then the person in the morning could close it out and reopen it.

Dale

JohnHeart
Forum Regular

Post by JohnHeart » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:18 pm

They don't need to balance it. They need only to count the money inside the drawer (under the table) and submit it to me. I will check if it will balance.
JohnHeart

heman
Occasional Poster

Post by heman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:33 pm

easy.. just hibernate your computer..

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Closing receipt

Post by daleadmin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:01 pm

JohnHeart,

I have given some thought to this and then I realized that even if they do not get the information off of the close screen, all of the same information will be on the printed closing receipt. They can just read it off of that.

Dale

JohnHeart
Forum Regular

Post by JohnHeart » Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:42 pm

What if there is no closing sales summary and no printing of closing receipt because I want to hide it from my employees, is there a way for me to know the gross sales at any date? I assumed it's not possible.

Can we add a feature that POS automatically save the sales summary at each closing and that saved files can only be opened by POS with protected password? (I believe this feature is available at Reports menu if I'm not mistaken. We hide the sales summary from Reports menu but why do we show it on closing menu?)

If it is possible, I may request to have a function to configure the Closing menu. The option to hide sales summary and no printing of closing receipt.

I may be wrong with this idea, so I'm open to correction. My goal is to prevent my employees from cheating. That's all.

Thanks.
JohnHeart

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:19 am

You are not explaining how your employees are using the closing information to cheat. I for one, would not want to work in a store that does not show me at least a "cash in register" figure so that I know if my register balances at the end of the day. I do not want to come in the next day only to be told that my register was 20.00 short and I would have no idea if that was true.

I imagine that the program could be altered so when you put a password on the close and then you go to close, the program would offer the option of closing out the register without displaying the close screen or print a closing receipt.

You could then go to the reports feature to get a report for a particular day or get it from the journal.

There are some more problems with choosing to reset the journal for the next day and resetting the merchandise data and automatic reports, and SoundScan but I imagine that they could all be overcome assuming that I would be able to come up with the time and code space to do this.

So the main problem now is to convince me that this is really important and that a significant percentage of the current 180,000+ user want this.

grantm
Forum Regular

Post by grantm » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:12 am

It would seems logical that the employee would be there to see if the drawer balances. It a register is in an employees name, they are responsible for the money in it. BUt if the manager balances drawer, then tells the employee that they were $20 short, who's there to verify that? Maybe that manager didn't like that employee, so hid $20 from the drawer to make the employee look bad. It might be best if, yes, the manager balance the drawer, but the employee is there, too, to sign off that they agree with the over/short amount.

JohnHeart
Forum Regular

Post by JohnHeart » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:06 pm

There are many ways to cheat. Entering the correct price of an item but overpricing customer. Not entering sales. Keeping the change when a customer leave it. Keeping the tip.

I am not into accusing my employees of something they didn't do to show them I can't be tricked. That will not contribute to the success of my business. What I am concern is what I am losing.

If they do not cheat and forget to enter the sales then they are not working well. I will not accuse them of cheating but it's the way I can monitor if I have chosen a good employee or if they are performing well.

If they are really cheating and I noticed it, I might surprise them one day and balance the sales summary in front of them.
JohnHeart

ToPS

Post by ToPS » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:20 pm

I agree that there should be consensus what amount should be in the cash drawer, but no cashier should know before the actual cash has been counted.

Therefor, my cashiers are not allowed to close the register. They count the cash and write down the amount.

The manager and the cashier then together close the register and compare the totals.
This is all done before the end of the cashier's shift as cashing up starts between 30 and 45 minutes before the shift ends.

I would prefer that when closing the register the "enter employee pin number" should be replaced by "enter closing password".

This would prevent anybody from not knowing the password from finding out how much cash should be in the register.

Regards

ToPS

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:16 pm

ToPS,

You can already set a password to access the close register option. In POSCONFG, under the Passwords screen set the mode of "close" to "1" which will require the master password to be entered to access the close register screen. You can optionally set an independent password for that feature.

Code: Select all

MODE    ACCESS CLOSE SCREEN    CLOSE-OUT REGISTER
 0      Unsecured access.      Unsecured access.
 1      Password needed.       Password needed.
 2      Unsecured access.      Password needed.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)