ISBN on books

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

ISBN on books

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:14 am

Does anyone have any experiences with scanning the "ISBN" numbers on the back of books?

I haven't yet bought a barcode reader since I am very unfamiliar with this territory.

My thinking is to use the current barcode on the back of the books (which represents the barcode ISBN) that will then retrieve all the information from the DHPOS software.

Any comments on the pro's & cons before I fully try to implement this in my shop?

Andrew
Site Administrator

Post by Andrew » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:31 pm

The ISBN on a book is the International number which will allow it's details to be found and retrieved almost anywhere in the world.

The ISBN is also recorded by Library software as many modern systems allow searching of Z39.50 servers to download the MARC record for the item and all it's related details into the catalogue.

However the barcode is usually just a standard product barcode although many I've seen do have the ISBN number within the barcode.
DHPOS Veteran (from v3.46, July 2002)

ChrisKraus
Forum Regular

ISBN Barcodes

Post by ChrisKraus » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:41 pm

andrewbunn wrote:The ISBN on a book is the International number which will allow it's details to be found and retrieved almost anywhere in the world.

The ISBN is also recorded by Library software as many modern systems allow searching of Z39.50 servers to download the MARC record for the item and all it's related details into the catalogue.

However the barcode is usually just a standard product barcode although many I've seen do have the ISBN number within the barcode.
<HR>
The ISBN Barcodes, which are in EAN-13 format, are not the actual ISBN Number. The format for ISBN barcodes is:
978 + ISBN # Minus Last Digit + Check Digit

Just To Let You Know,
Chris :)
- Chris
Christopher Kraus