BETA test version GIFT-E / 4-23-07

Make comments, ask questions, or just complain about the software on this site. Or comment on any educational software.
Please note that by clicking on links that may appear in these posts that you may be leaving the Dale Harris Educational Software website and that the content of those sites is the sole resposibility of the authors of those sites.

Moderators:daleadmin, Dale Harris, Alan, Andrew

daleadmin
Forum Owner
Version B

Post by daleadmin » Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:06 pm

Here is the latest. I fixed the "price change" bug and a lot of other clean up.

Look for the download link in a post at near the end of this thread.

You will have to go to the gift card setup and redo the receipt labels on the last page. I added a new one and they are in a different order.

Dale
Last edited by daleadmin on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Progress

Post by daleadmin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:52 pm

More progress. In version GIFTC I have fixed the problem with the no-tax ID number being formatted as a phone number.

And amazingly I have also added the gift card reports which is accessed as Report Q from the "8. Reports" feature.

Dale

Look for the download link in a post near the end of this thread.
Last edited by daleadmin on Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrdmng
Forum Regular

Gift Cards and Taxes

Post by mrdmng » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:10 pm

Dale,

When someone purchase a Gift Card, he/she does not pay the taxes. However, when the Gift Card is used as a method of payment, the value on the GC is applied towards the taxes.

Is this correct or am I misunderstanding how GC's are applied to the sales?

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:32 pm

That is pretty much the deal. When you sell a gift card you are not actually selling anything. You are just trading one kind of money (cash) for another (gift card). Therefore there is no tax on the transaction.

However when you purchase something using the money in a gift card then like any other form of payment you have to pay the tax on the merchandise using the money in the gift card

Dale.

Bobby
Forum Regular

error with no gift card number

Post by Bobby » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:24 pm

Hello Dale,

When you access the gift card feature report and fail to put in a gift card number, you get a bad file name error that crashes the program. You should be getting an error like when you type in an incorrect number and get a card not found message.

Thank you for all of your hard work and I am looking forward to the legendary customer accounts feature!!!

Later,
Bobby

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:02 pm

Bobby,

Well that was easy to fix.

I am afraid that the legendary customer accounts feature is going to have to remain legendary for quite a while longer. After using most of my spare time staring at code for the past 6 months, when gift cards is finally finished I will probably be taking a little vacation from doing this for quite a while.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:36 am

Well yet another new test version. All the problems that have been mentioned since yesterday have been fixed, maybe. Give this a try and find out for sure.

Look for the download link in a post near the end of this thread.
Last edited by daleadmin on Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bobby
Forum Regular

Thank you!

Post by Bobby » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:30 am

Hello Dale,

Thanks for the quick fix, as always. I have tried a bunch of ways that cashiers seem to mess with transactions, and you seem to have everything covered; using giftcards in a transaction and voiding the transaction, post voiding a giftcard transaction. The reports feature is perfect.

Thanks again,
Bobby

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Final version?

Post by daleadmin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:44 pm

Well I may just be fooling myself but as far as I can tell this will be the actual release version of the "Gift cards" feature. Give it it a try and prove me wrong.

If no one can find any problems with it for the next 48 hours I will renumber it as version 6.40 an release it.

Here is the download link...

<center> http://keyhut.com/pos3.htm </center>
Last edited by daleadmin on Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tina
Occasional Poster

Gift Release

Post by Tina » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:02 am

Hi Dale,
Congrats on the new version that you are about to release. Would this qualify as being DHPOS 7.0 since it's a major feature upgrade?

I tried my best to break this but I can't. There was only one issue that I was concerned about, but I found a Work-Around for it.

Here goes:

Lucy gets a $50.00 GiftCard as a gift! She's very, very excited & runs down to the local shop with her mom so she can spend it. She gets to the store & selects a few things. Her things get mixed up with her mom's items and suddenly the cashier has rung the whole order up. Not the cashier's fault! Lucy only had about $10.00 worth of merchandise, but her mom is a big spender and spent over $200.00 in the store. Lucy pulls out her Giftcard and hands it to the cashier. Card is swiped and oops poor Lucy just lost out on $40bucks because the register applied the whole amount to the order.

Work-Arounds:

Don't go shopping with your mother. (Just Kidding)

Purchase GiftCard items separately in their own transaction.

Apply all other payment methods to the transaction and Swipe the card last.

:D
Tina

Kaz
Occasional Poster

Post by Kaz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:12 pm

I don't see this as that big of a problem because the POS we use at work does exactly the same thing when we swipe a giftcard. Maybe Dale could add the option of how much to tender from the giftcard.

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Next version

Post by daleadmin » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:36 pm

Tina,

This is a pretty major upgrade but I am saving version 7.0 for the version that will process credit cards through X-Charge.

The gift card version will be 6.40.

Dale

daleadmin
Forum Owner

Post by daleadmin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:55 am

Hmm. Almost 24 hours without anyone finding a problem. There is a real danger of this thing finally getting shoved out the door.

Then I am going to take a really long nap.

Dale

bdude
Forum Regular

Post by bdude » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:11 am

This seems pretty well thought out. Well done :)

I have a suggestion for stores that use the Price Check program, that you could incorporate Gift Card price checking also